USAA - USAA - One of the BEST! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"USAA - One of the BEST!"

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in San Antonio, TX
Former Contractor - Technical Writer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company and a wonderful environment to work. As a contactor for USAA (for 7 years) in the IT department -- I was treated with respect and came to consider the company as family. Joe Robles is an excellent CEO. Great IT experience with many professional people.

Cons

As a contractor you are not eligible for the yearly bonus. When changing a contracting company you are required to layoff for six months before returning to USAA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

1. "Love the company, the direction, hate the managers who throw people under the bus to saves them self"

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Killeen, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMAZING benefits, great campus, believe in the values, flexable in time, great core values, great CEO, awesome bonuses, they will make sure you are comfortable

Cons

They will throw you under the bus if needed to save someone else. I was there for 2 years, never any issues and the day I moved roles to a FC, since I did not do dinners with them and become what they wanted, they found some outrageous reason to get rid of me when I went to the management staff about being seperated off and the way I was being treated. Before I could goto ER or HR, I was fired for some report that was created out of thin air claiming I did something wrong. When I asked to prove it, nothing could really be shown except for, "O this report here proves it" and the manager could not even explain where it came from. -.- anyways, yeah, keep to yoru self and head down from certain people.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of the employees who are die heart to the company and TRUST they are doing the right things. Do not allow people who fear their jobs to allow them to fire/hire people.

"Great Company, Difficult to be an MSR"

Former Employee - Mortgage Origination Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Origination Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Benefits
    -Pay
    -Work Site is amazing: Gym, Cafeteria, Scenery, Relaxation Rooms
    -Company's Business Practices: You can really feel proud of the company that you work for

USAA is a wonderful employer in terms of the benefits that they offer to their employees. Annual and holiday bonuses, different amenities on-site that promote wellness and health. Pay is decent. There are decent shifts available, but you just have to be able to land one. And it depends on what department you're in and what hours your department is open.

The one thing that made it hard for me to leave USAA is that I really do believe in their mission. I am a military spouse and was a member long before I was ever an employee and always appreciated USAA's dedication to their members. I can confidently say that USAA is one of the few remaining large companies who do things ethically. I could honestly say day after day that I was proud to work for a company that had this mentality.

Cons

-Stress of the demands of the call volume
    -Not having time to think about the call that you just got off of before another one came in
    -Having to stay late because you're stuck on a call
    -Never knowing what time you're going to get off: There were several times I was there over an hour late and missed either a scheduled appointment or an engagement with my husband or friends that was previously set up.
    -Not being allowed to use the restroom between breaks/lunches without it being brought up as an adherence issue: Sometimes your body doesn't work on the same schedule that the scheduling department sets up for you. And most of the time you didn't actually go to your break/lunch on time anyway due to being stuck on a call, so to hold it for that time and then be stuck there for another hour is not good for your body. We're adults; if there is an urgent bathroom issue, you shouldn't be hesitant to go and take care of your body's needs.
    -Having metrics that are out of your control constantly shoved in your face: The goal in mortgage originations was to have a certain percentage of your calls result in an application. Understandably, there should be an expectation to obtain applications and get business for the company. However, without being able to monitor how many of your calls are from members who already have an application in place and are just simply calling in to get more information or a misdirected call that was meant for another department (typically home owner's insurance), it's not a fair evaluation of the work that you're really doing and can be very discouraging.

This might vary from departmnet to department, but I was in Mortgage Originations talking to member's about new mortgages and taking applications. Some of these calls could last 2-3 hours at times. This would make me absolutely dread the end of the day as I never knew if I'd get stuck on a call or not. I could never plan anything w/in 2 hours of the end of my shift because I never knew if I'd be able to make it or not. Also, with these calls being so long and involved, I felt it was unrealistic to expect MSR's to have no ACW (After Call Work) between calls. If you just got off of a really long call, the last thing you want to do is go right into another one.

The stress to produce applications was so high that I began having anxiety issues and my body was having physical reactions to the stress. My work/life balance was completely out of whack due to constantly staying late because of being stuck on a phone call. My frequently used term in my vocabulary became, "Sorry I missed the appointment, phonecall, dinner, etc.; I got stuck on a call."

Advice to Management

Understand that although this is a call center and there are certain expectations, your MSR's are assisting your member's with the largest purchase of their entire lives and might need some time between calls to finish up a file as the member's sometimes can't continue to hold after already being on the phone for 1-2 hours.

Understand that your MSR's rarely go to their breaks/lunches on time so if they are going to the restroom before that allottted time its because they know that they won't be able to hold it when that dreaded application call comes in five minutes before breaktime.

Find more opportunities to provide greentime to your MSRs so that burnout doesn't happen.

Understand that taking call after call after call and having the exact same conversation with different people and having to act like its the first time you've ever had it can get extremely burdensome and there will be times someone just wants to sit in ACW and have a little bit of a break before going into the next phonecall.

Understand that not every call is an opportunity as you suggest. If i'm in mortgage originations and I get a call from a member who needs to cancel their home owner's insurance, that is not an opportunity for a sales referral. Although you seem to think that those calls are few and far between, they happen a lot more than you think that they do.