USAA - Great company that lives its mission each day. Really cares about its customers and employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Great company that lives its mission each day. Really cares about its customers and employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits and nice bonuses.

Cons

Promotes from within but could still stand to do a lot more to maximize the talents of internal employees. Since USAA has a great tuition assistance program many USAA employees go on to obtain advanced degrees. Unfortunately, you will tend to see lots of employees with multiple advanced degrees doing jobs that they are severely overqualified for. For example, employees with a MBA and MS degree being stuck with simple customer service jobs.

Advice to Management

Left USAA because I could not obtain the position I wanted after earning a MBA in Project Management and a MS in Organizational Leadership in less than three years. Currently pursuing a ME in Engineering Management with a Six Sigma Master Black Belt. Will go on to a doctorate degree when I am done with my ME degree in a few years.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Great if you don't have a phone job"

Former Employee - Associate Property Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Property Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great building, location, good people. Room for advancement.

Cons

Not enough time to handle your own files. There aren't enough reps so you're taking call after call without having time to call back your own members. Which also leaves you taking care of other adjuster's files because their members can't reach them either. Constant push to sell products, even on calls where people are reporting claims. I heard from many other people in the bank that it's horrible there too.

Advice to Management

Allow more time off the phone to handle our own files. Don't stress to sell on incoming calls when someone is reporting a claim. That's just poor taste and insincere.

2. "Best Place to Work in IT"

Current Intern - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Current Intern - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They are understanding, nice, and they compare you to see how well you improve your skills, verse how well you do compared to everyone around you. It's a really great company to work for, and the IT intern program is one of the best in the nation! They are flexible with work dates, give the interns
    really important work on their projects, and have a lot of fun activities for the students!
    Furthermore, this company hires a LOT of vets & they encourage and live by the motto "do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do"! It's incredible!

Cons

Interns tend to have difficulty arranging rides to and from work because many of them fly into Texas (because they are from all over the nation). But rumor has it that they are working on fixing this issue for future interns! Besides this, I honestly don't have anything negative to say about this company!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! You are doing an excellent job!
    (But possibly increase the new hire pay rates to be more competitive in the international IT world...)