USAA - USAA has been a great leaning and development experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"USAA has been a great leaning and development experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer & Integrator in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Software Developer & Integrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

USAA has great benefits with company wide bonuses, a holiday bonus, large company match 401k, and additional company contributions to the 401k. It firmly believes and follows it mission statement to be the provider of choice for the military community and their families

Cons

The promotion path is vague and reaching upper levels of the IT technical career are often limited to factors outside of the employee, such as the number of other senior/lead employees already within the employee's team.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

>lots of highly engaged, talented employees
    >noble and clear mission
    >well defined values and culture
    >fair compensation package
    >good work/life balance
    >beautiful campus
    >we, as a company, are very good at what we do

Cons

>sometimes we fall a little short of our lofty ideals, and that can be frustrating
    >its very competitive, not really in a bad way, but it sometimes feels like you've got no time to relax on the job

Advice to Management

It would be nice for the front-line employees to have more say and input in the goals that we are asked to achieve.

"If you accept the company culture and adhere to their demands, it can be a good place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

I worked at the San Antonio office and the amenities offered there are amazing: company-matched IRA contributions, two annual bonuses, a nice amount of paid time off, and more.

Cons

The company culture is forced upon you and can be suffocating at times. In the entry-level position I worked they also fostered a fear that your position is not secure. Instead of a focus on improvement, the attitude becomes one of fear compared to the possible intended goal of growth within your role at the company.

Advice to Management

Relax some of the metric-based performance monitoring in the positions where they apply. Either go all out with providing quality service that cares to USAA members or become fully performance metric driven. The USAA members are smarter than you give them credit for and many realize a farce when they see it.