USAA - Good pay and benefits, lots of hard work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Good pay and benefits, lots of hard work"

Current Employee - Senior Member Services Representative in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Member Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly, members are the best in the world. Salary is above-average for the insurance industry

Cons

Constantly, chronically over-worked. This is NOT an exaggeration - aside from two 20 minute breaks and a 35 minute lunch, there wasn't a single free second in your day.

Advice to Management

Hire more representatives to lighten the workload, otherwise employee turnover will continue rising. Also, some managers micro-manage to a painful degree, whereas others are great to work for -- please level-set with management.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

1. "Was the best company I ever worked for."

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package is unbelievable. The time off they offer is superb. I would highly recommend anyone interested in working in the insurance field to check this company out.

Cons

You are in a call center all day. It was a bit of a drive for me.. They only have a couple of offices throughout the United States. So transferring to a higher position can be quite difficult.

Advice to Management

I don't think they need as many managers as they do.. The senior represetatives take care of most issue. ITs a wast of money. Money that could go to the people actually taking phone calls.

"Great benefits, but drunk on kool aid"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has some amazing benefits, however they are usually offset by abysmal pay.
    They have a very generous PTO program

Cons

As a financial advisor, you're not really doing the job you're hired to do. Most of the calls you take are budget reviews, credit advice, or debt advice. I have financial planning advice calls only about 15-20% of the time.
    Management will always tell you they are working on the quality of referrals, but very little ever changes.
    Pay is horrible
    You are "chained" to a desk, and have a very regimented schedule, deviation from that schedule is a fireable offense.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees, and let the remaining talent you have so the job they are trained to do