USAA - Great Company that takes care of its employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Great Company that takes care of its employees."

Current Employee - Product Management Director in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Product Management Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic adherence to the mission of serving members. Great benefits and reasonable pressure. The pay is good for San Antonio and the cost of living in San Antonio is tremendous.

Cons

From a development perspective, the company is more relationship driven than performance driven. Don't expect to be rewarded for producing and executing.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Good... but far from Great."

Current Employee - Lead Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a very friendly and collaborative culture at USAA. There are excellent benefits and facilities; particularly at the home office in SAT. The company goes out of its way to make the employee's work day a satisfactory and pleasant experience. There is a lot of opportunity for continued education. Decisions are very customer focused (almost to a fault). Pay is not fantastic but moderately competitive. The benefits are the extra kicker which make it worth while. The biggest Pro is quality of life. I hear people talking about working like a dog. Maybe it's my department but no one works as hard as I did in my two prior jobs; I have no problem completing my work in a 45-50 hour work week. For all the criticism, USAA is a good place to work if you want a steady job you can stay at for the next couple of decades. You can expect gradual progression and a lot of friends along the way.

Cons

It is difficult to advance; nearly impossible to go from employee to management unless you go through the call center. If you're looking to get into leadership my advice is to come into the company as a leader; do not plan on internal promotion to get you there. External leadership experience means next to nothing at USAA. I have nearly a decade of external leadership experience, at a higher level then what I applied for here. Yet, multiple times I have been told the reason for not interviewing me was that I lacked "USAA leadership experience."

There is a strong good old boy network in leadership. It is worse in the exec ranks because, like the military, leaders either get promoted or transferred to a new division every 2-3 years. This ensures broad company knowledge but minimal knowledge about the unit and industry sector they are leading. As an organization, it is extremely centralized. Department heads have virtually no budget authority and decision making, like the military, always has to come from the top. Decision making authority does not get delegated. From what I have observed, changes to organizational structures have to be approved by four levels of executives.

Non-military employees are often made to feel like 2nd class citizens because you have such an "easy life". I'm a huge fan of our service members but as an employee you better be ready to eat, sleep and wake up to your undying love for the military. Wow, it can really get nauseating at times. This can even override common sense with some directives like a catastrophic program to put young military officers directly into financial services leadership roles.

This place is not a meritocracy at all. Great work is rarely appreciated and there is a large fear of change due to it's tendency to create more work for someone. People who enjoy the status quo can thrive here. If you're a true go-getter you will likely struggle with the slow pace and inability to show what you can really do. The disconnect is that execs are promoted for keeping the ship balanced and afloat, not shaking things up and trying to make the company better. "Risk is acceptable, as long as we're sure nothing can go wrong."

I restate that USAA is a good company. At the end of the day, my greatest disappointment is that the company wants to be a financial services leader. It has the ability, the talent and the resources but unfortunately, its fixed and stale leadership ranks are entrenched in the myopic loop of call-center mindedness. This regularly restrains it's ability to surpass the competition in several markets. This is the root cause of why USAA will not be Great.

Advice to Management

There is a widespread, lazy, and very common hiring practice of reducing the number of applicants by only considering existing Directors for director roles. This excludes new leadership talent and promotes a "you scratch my back" culture.

2. "My hope is to work here until I retire."

Current Employee - Adjuster III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Adjuster III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Facilities at USAA (San Antonio) are impeccable. They focus on making it easy for you to come to work.

Cons

Competition is stiff for promotions.