USAA - Experience at USAA | Glassdoor

"Experience at USAA"

Former Contractor - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX
Former Contractor - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a wonderful place to work. Staff is very friendly.

Cons

I don't have any cons right now

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"It's all about the ticky mark..."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor III in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor III in Addison, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

8% 401k Match
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Steady Paycheck
    Awesome Mission providing financial guidance to the military community

Cons

The company overall is decent, the Financial Advisor position has become an utter and absolute joke. The department is way understaffed, so much so that even in the usually dead summer months the phones are ringing off the hook, meaning no time for training, workshops, meetings or even coaching sessions. To make it worse, literally 80% of the calls are junk, and everyone knows it. You spend most of every day talking to people about bankruptcy, divorce, how much debt they're in, why they didn't get approved for a loan bla bla bla... Everything but life insurance or investments, which is what a real advisor talks about.

You are graded on products per call basis, which may be the most ridiculous part of the job because like I said, the majority of the calls are junk. All other departments are graded on how many "leads" they send to advisors, with no regard for quality or if any business gets closed. This leads to about 10 -15 calls a day that go like this: "Uhhhh... Ya the other rep said I should talk to you about uhhhhh financial things or something like that, I don't know..." After you tell them what you do they say I'm good and hang up, so that counts against your numbers but hey the other guy got their ticky mark referral woohoo!

Promotions are rare, as management will find any little thing to hold against you as an excuse to keep you where you're at. They micromanage you down to how much time you spend in the bathroom. They want you to write intricate notes after the rare call in which you are able to sell something but will badger you about spending too much time in "after call work" and not on the phone. There is no positive reinforcement, coaching sessions and evaluations are focused on how you're screwing up and it sucks all the confidence out of you. Everyone is stressed out and looking to leave. You can't give this feedback to management or any negative feedback for that matter or you will be blacklisted.

Advice to Management

Slow down with the referrals, there's ten million members and a few hundred advisors. Not everyone needs to talk to an advisor every time they call. Your front line reps are not happy and that will lead to many negative experiences for them and the membership.

2. "Great experience, but more of a corporate job than I wanted."

Current Intern - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Current Intern - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, lots of benefits, amazing campus

Cons

Not recognized, boring work, dull offices

Advice to Management

NA