USG - Fair company to work for with old school values. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USG

"Fair company to work for with old school values."

I have been working at USG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pension & 401K. Good healthcare insurance. Dedication to keeping its workers safe and free from injury.

Cons

lots of paperwork that could be done electronically.

Advice to Management

Reduce paperwork.
Utilize retiring work force by having them pass their knowledge and skills to new workers.

Other Employee Reviews for USG

1. "Great Vision minded executive Staff have a great plan to win through these tough times."

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at USG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are more communications than ever before from the executive committee which definitely helps motivate employees. Lately our teams plan to win has created our own company recession recovery which has motivated all employees from senior executives to the operator level. We have seen our first pay raise in some time as promised and looking forward to the future with great faith in our executive leaders.

Cons

Some USG location seem slow to adapt to new technology but getting better.
    Still have unrealistic deadlines to meet which stunt project growth due to manpower shortages.

Advice to Management

Continue the communications and try to speed up the adaptation of new technologies at all plants.

"Great company in a currently bad economy"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager

Pros

Great people and plenty of room to grow for employees. There are great mentors available in this organization. People respect one another

Cons

USG is a company in the extremely competitive wallboard industry. This when added to the current economic situation, salary freezes and constant layoffs makes the company unattractive to young employees and middle tier upwardly mobile staff.

Advice to Management

To better maximize on involuntary severances, aim higher in the organization. Too often, cuts were taken from the lower levels of staff in the organization - the doers. Overtime, all that is left is the delegators who have an excellent track record for fending off new work. Eliminate that layer to bring back innovation