Ulta Beauty - If only Corp knew the TRUTH! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

"If only Corp knew the TRUTH!"

Current Employee - Punching Bag in Mobile, AL
Current Employee - Punching Bag in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, discounts, continued education, working with some of the best people in AL, Great Customers , 401k , great company on corporate level, paid vacation, sick days, personal days, time off for death in family, and knowing they will be around for the long haul.

Cons

Corporate is out of reach for employees that started working here because they believed in the company and what they thought it stood for. If we really had the all mighty open door policy then employees wouldn't feel so abused after telling in house management or even better the DM about a problem. The downside to this company is that they spent so much time and money on a rule book that is worthless unless a manager needs it to use against you to cover her tracks. I work in a store that was opened without even 1 person who came from already working with the company. We all know this was a Huge mistake! Well I'm sure corporate doesn't because from what we see everyday we are pretty sure lazy, rule breaking, unprofessional, unruly, and unmanageable employees are to blame for low #s or customer complaints! Funny how all we see is management sitting in the office, huddled around the store, or anywhere else they can find to talk about employees like we are still in middle school and they are the perfect elite bullies! Its very sad when you see a store that could make Ulta's top 10 without a doubt being put down / kept down by a ever changing management team that is unqualified for a snow cone stand much less a company that is on the top list in USA for up and coming companies. Mobile AL isn't the Ulta it could be. I love this company but HATE this location! But don't be fooled by smoke and mirrors! I know what your thinking .... We have tried calling the DM, employee hotline, even our DM's boss the HR manager for our district and I could still PROMISE you that Corporate has not one clue that anything is wrong down here in AL .... if anything .... they think they have an Amazing management team that has it horrible because they have a worthless, uneducated, and blah blah blah staff.

Advice to Management

Check your GM! Has it not crossed your minds that we opened in Nov 2011 and are now on our 2nd across the board turnover on our management team. Possibly 3rd on some parts. Its a Great store, location, and customer / employee base but nobody in Mobile has ever had a chance to tell you all the truth because when someone tries we are blocked or even better written up or mistreated so it tarnished our record so if by any chance we ever did get a chance to tell you the truth they could discredit us with our employee file they personally have the ability to RUIN!!! DON'T TEACH AND PREACH WHAT we learn and know by heart if YOU are NEVER going to LIVE IT!

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"No room for growth"

Current Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% salon discount
    Discount off everything in store
    The girls at my store are awesome

Cons

Schedules are never made more than a week in advance. You will have to plan all your weekends two or three days before the schedules are made. Hours are also unfairly distributed among cashiers-- one person will get 5 hours, while another will get 20 hours, despite open availability. Management will hire outside rather than promoting internally; they are given based on favoritism, rather than efficiency, meeting of goals, getting high NPS scores from customers, and getting customers to sign up for the scam magazine subscriptions. I have worked for the company for over a year and a half and each time, upper management (GM and DM) promotes an outside employee who has only been working for 3 months. They eventually quit the company. You will constantly get bitched at by customers with all the coupon restrictions-- 90% of them who are too lazy to read the fine print. General Managers are consistently getting moved around, or fired. It is apparent that the company doesn't value education. Unlike other companies, you will have to work holidays. Non management will never get pay and a half for working holidays. It's no wonder turnover rate is so high.

Advice to Management

Your stores will never make consistent sale goals if you don't hire enough employees and sales representatives to introduce customers to new products. NPS surveys are only a snap shot of what a store actually looks like. Corporate would never know this because they don't actually work the sales floor and contribute to the sales goals. Their tactic is bullying. Cut out the magazine scams altogether. You're not making enough profit off these anyway, and demographics already know about Ulta. That's what the sales ads are for. How about positive reinforcement for your cashiers, more gratis, or appreciation for their hard work to keep up morale? A little goes a long way.

"Prestiege cosmetic manager"

Former Employee - Prestiege Cosmetic Department Manager in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Prestiege Cosmetic Department Manager in Springfield, VA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great perks, discount, and not bad hours

Cons

ethics of Upper management, store policies, everyone besides top management was "part time" and benefits were too expensive. Had to work 5 days a week even as part time and spread hours out, rather than working normal 8 hour shifts over less days.