Ulta Beauty - Poor Work Life Balance | Glassdoor

"Poor Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bolingbrook, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company, good people to work with, competitive salary

Cons

Relentless pace, company pushes and pushes to the point of burning people out. Provides very little training for IT staff.

Advice to Management

Create a culture people want to be a part of not want to leave because they are burnt out.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Some dogs are treated better!!!"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Joplin, MO

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits but expensive..good discount!!

Cons

Being disrespected not only by your GM but your DM as well.
    don't ever think you can file a harassment complaint confidentially to HR without it being shared with the person you complained about before an internal investigation can be completed and then your DM lying to you about it. Unrealistic goals for a new location not only for the store but for the salon. Only being able to give talented stylists 10-12 hours and then they want you to hire more. They say you can make as much as you want, but that is simply not so when it's a new salon. It has to grow. Whoever is advising them for the salon industry doesn't know anything about building a business.
    The other managers are all transferring to another location just to get away from the present GM, due to her bully tactics. They are afraid to say anything for fear of retaliation, even though the company has a "No Retaliation" policy, that is a joke just like a confidential complaint.
    When your DM can't see what is in front of her nose, it's hard to try and explain it.
    Eventually maybe they will get it, but I doubt it.
    Please read these reviews, yes there are a few that like Ulta, but then again I don't think they uprooted their life to move to another city and state for a company that they thought would be a great move for. My bad.
    I am going back to the company that I came from, that knows how to treat it's employees and respects them.

Advice to Management

When you say confidential mean it. Make sure your GM wasn't under suspicion for harassment at another company before you hire her and listen when the employees are trying to tell you something. They just might know what they are talking about. Make more visits when she is not there..it will be surprising what you might find out..You might learn how she is manipulating things to make budget and make her bonuses..as well as everyone else doing her job!!!

"Current employee treated unfairly. Carrollton, TX"

Current Employee - Hairstylist in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Hairstylist in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to interact with guests! The training they provide is exceptional! The discount is great, if you love makeup! The atmosphere is great and so are some of the people I work with.

Cons

Hours, unrealistic goals, dishonesty, unfairness, broken promises. No matter how efficient you are in your work and you always keep busy, the managers are never satisfied. Favoritism is a big factor and that's an understatement. Forget about talking to management about problems because they don't care and they are quick to make up things that you do wrong and when you call them on it, they all of a sudden have to take a call. I am not one to complain, but I mean if you only knew what I was talking about you would understand. Get on the managers bad side and they decide to take you out of training classes unknowingly and then call you at the last minute to let you know. Oh, and if your good at what you do, they cut your hours and throw you under the bus, just to take all the clients. The level of greed in the salon is outrageous. We are suppose to be a team, what happened to all the things they say in meetings about being a team? Apparently, management believes that there is an "I" in team.

Advice to Management

Not that you care to read this and actually take it into consideration, I take pride in my work. I have over 8 years of experience doing what I do, including customer service and to be treated the way I do is not only sexist, but wrong in many ways that can be taken to the FTC and BBB. I have been taken out of training classes while others took training and I have still not received it. There are many problems with the management in this location, particulary in salon management. It doesn't have to be this way if you only, I mean really, cared about your employees.