Ulta Beauty - Users and Abusers | Glassdoor

"Users and Abusers"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Tukwila, WA
Former Employee - Esthetician in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Started at full time at asking pay, provided list of previous clients to draw current clients, provided business cards. Allowed to place order for what Esthetics supplies were needed.

Cons

To say that I walked into my employment as the sole Esthetician of the Ulta Salon (Tukwila,WA) with an open mind, would be an understatement. I stepped into the role three months after graduating from Esthetics school and I was grateful for the opportunity. In the three weeks I worked at Tukwila Ulta, I received little to no guidance on signature facial treatments, and I received no new product to supplement the spa. Despite these deficiencies, I was required to perform Esthetics services with neither company knowledge or proper supplies. I adapted with what was available. To my knowledge, I was responsible for bringing in an average of $200 worth of services per working day.

At the end of my first three weeks working for the company, I was abruptly fired with management citing as the reasons for my termination that I had offered free services and had received multiple client complaints. I was surprised because of course I hadn't offered any free services and had never been told about any client complaints, if in fact these complaints existed at all. When I asked for information as to the nature of the client complaints, I was told that the management was not allowed to give me that information. I was also informed that I was being fired because I had worn my hair in a ponytail even though I supposedly had been warned by several managers not to. No such conversations had ever taken place. I was amazed and horrified that the management would actually tell such a blatant lie in order to have the excuse to fire me. I am still not sure why I was really fired.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees, provide proper training, and provide proper supplies.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Fun but not what it appears"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the salon as a stylist and the extensive team training they give you is amazing. It's positive and motivating and inspiring.

Cons

Unfortunately, the motivation they give you serves them more than it serves you. Essentially it makes you feel guilty for complaining that their pay scale is awful and their goals are almost unachievable.

Advice to Management

Discounting services and forcing the employee to be paid off the discount while requiring certain goals are met is discouraging to the employee.

"Constantly busy, fun but lacking in associate to guest ratio."

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like cosmetics but are tired of being tied down to a counter,

Cons

Not the greatest benefits. Huge opportunity on allowing stores to effectively schedule associates to better service guests.

Advice to Management

Allow stores to have more payroll hours so they can better service our guests.