Ulta Beauty - Users and Abusers | Glassdoor

"Users and Abusers"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Tukwila, WA
Former Employee - Esthetician in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Started at full time at asking pay, provided list of previous clients to draw current clients, provided business cards. Allowed to place order for what Esthetics supplies were needed.

Cons

To say that I walked into my employment as the sole Esthetician of the Ulta Salon (Tukwila,WA) with an open mind, would be an understatement. I stepped into the role three months after graduating from Esthetics school and I was grateful for the opportunity. In the three weeks I worked at Tukwila Ulta, I received little to no guidance on signature facial treatments, and I received no new product to supplement the spa. Despite these deficiencies, I was required to perform Esthetics services with neither company knowledge or proper supplies. I adapted with what was available. To my knowledge, I was responsible for bringing in an average of $200 worth of services per working day.

At the end of my first three weeks working for the company, I was abruptly fired with management citing as the reasons for my termination that I had offered free services and had received multiple client complaints. I was surprised because of course I hadn't offered any free services and had never been told about any client complaints, if in fact these complaints existed at all. When I asked for information as to the nature of the client complaints, I was told that the management was not allowed to give me that information. I was also informed that I was being fired because I had worn my hair in a ponytail even though I supposedly had been warned by several managers not to. No such conversations had ever taken place. I was amazed and horrified that the management would actually tell such a blatant lie in order to have the excuse to fire me. I am still not sure why I was really fired.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees, provide proper training, and provide proper supplies.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Fun but not what it appears"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the salon as a stylist and the extensive team training they give you is amazing. It's positive and motivating and inspiring.

Cons

Unfortunately, the motivation they give you serves them more than it serves you. Essentially it makes you feel guilty for complaining that their pay scale is awful and their goals are almost unachievable.

Advice to Management

Discounting services and forcing the employee to be paid off the discount while requiring certain goals are met is discouraging to the employee.

"Micro Managing Company From The Top Down"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount, Trendy work environment

Cons

Very unrealistic sales goals. Terrible DM and GM relationship. Turnover was Terrible bc hours where scarce, benefits were expensive, and good help was hard to find when having to put up with all the micro managing that went on. Salon managers had to do HOURS of ridiculous paper work, along with run the salon and sales floor. I do not recommend this company
    They have A LOT of growing to do...

Advice to Management

Talk to the sales teams , not your gms... They are the people who can tell you the real issues at hand in your locations.