Ulta Beauty - Horrible management! | Glassdoor

"Horrible management!"

Former Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Tampa, FL
Former Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-25% off Retail Discount
-50% off Salon Services
-Relaxed Enviornment

Cons

Communication is horrible! At least at the Ulta I worked, they would send employees home early to save money, and if you don't live very close by it ends up being a waste of gas coming in! On more than one occasion I came in only to find out they cut me out for the day without even calling. Waste of time and gas, plus I canceled plans in order to go to work that wasn't even there for me. They take forever to set up the weekly schedule too and definitely only give out hours to their favorites. There was barely any training, but if you know a lot about make up you'll glide right in. The customers aren't too bad, and the environment is pretty relaxed. I would've stayed longer if it weren't for the terrible management and the lack of hours they give. It was weird that employees were complaining about not having adequate hours, yet they were interviewing for seasonal positions??

Advice to Management

Be more communicative and actually put up the schedule when you say the schedule will be up.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"It was ok!"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were good when I first started working there. Then with all the major turnover it wasn't the same. Good customers after the years. (because you get to know them)

Cons

It's a slave drive at times. Upper Management doesn't have a clue. They dont care about anything but the stupid money. Screw the employees when they work there butts off through the holiday season. What for a few free donuts every once in awhile WHATEVER!! Forget it who needs it.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to work a regular 8 hour shift at one of the stores and then they will understand how much really goes on. And whats up with hiring managers rom the outside? Promote within.

"Decent part-time job for high school or college student"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount, especially during the holidays.
    Easy work that does not require a degree.
    You get a chance to play around with the tester products.

Cons

Minimal pay.
    Angry customers that don't read the fine print on their coupons.
    Dealing with theft.

Advice to Management

Proofread and spell check the memos that you send to the stores, because they are oftentimes filled with mistakes, which makes the company look unprofessional.
    Make sure that the store managers actually give the gratis to the subordinates - some managers are greedy and hog the free stuff for themselves.
    Try to incorporate more high-end vendors, such as Makeup Forever, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, or Inglot.