Ulta Beauty - Great Company, Good Pay, Typical Retail | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Great Company, Good Pay, Typical Retail"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company. Great Benefits (start the day your hired).
Gratis!
Competitive Pay.
Promotions are achievable with hard work and shown interest

Cons

Typical retail hours so lack of work/life balance.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Typical Retailer, but Better than Most"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Employee Discount, decent management pay, vacation time starts accruing right away. Good advancement for hard workers.

Cons

Placing a retail business model on a service industry (salon), unreasonable labor cutbacks at busy times, unreasonable sales goals, atmosphere of hostility from corporate level down. Poor health insurance for full-timers who are not management or higher-level stylists. Company thinks they own you, wanting you available all the time - not good for a hairdresser whose customers need them to be there on a regular schedule.

Advice to Management

Too many sales and specials for the salon. You're not getting long-term customers or employees by creating a bargain-hunter's paradise. Tiered pricing makes clients an Ulta client with no loyalty to the stylist - which may seem to be in your best interests, but what happens when a local competitor offers a better sale? As a former salon owner, I can tell you that you want loyal, long-term guests, not coupon-hunting cheapskates. Your stylists will leave and you'll be forever offering a discount - we've had former guests call to see what the sale is, and if they don't think it's good enough, they won't come. In addition, how do you expect the salon to take walk-ins when you send everyone who's not booked home? 110 hours a week allocated to a new store is too few if the manager has to be on 40 hours and the salon needs to have an extra body for walk-ins for shifts that span 7 days a week. You set the goals so high that a salon mgr can't bonus. Base the bonus on comp - I brought my salon up over 30% in one year, but couldn't bonus because you brought the goal that high! What business has that kind of regular growth?? The corporate attitude of "guilty until proven innocent" combined with lots of screaming is covered by a Disney-esque veneer - everything is "Fabulous!" It's not "fabulous" when a manager is never sure of what they can and can't do. The rules change on a dime, and then you get screamed at when you have given "incorrect" information to your staff. I live in fear of the District Manager. Does she scream because you're screaming at her??

"It's crazy to see that not only my ulta stinks."

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pro? Hmmm I guess some of the staff I have gotten very close too. And the discount isn't to bad.

Cons

Schedule is never up on time, hours are horrible. Management is money hungry, does not care about employees. There's a high turnover, they can't keep anyone. You are more of a cleaning lady then anything else. Pay is not good. Getting gratis is like pulling teeth. I think its givin to everyone else but presitge. No room for growth.. Is very stressful place to work for.