Ulta Beauty - it's retail. job | Glassdoor

"it's retail. job"

Pros

gratis-the free stuff is all that matters

Cons

hours and if you are not patient then this is not for you.

Advice to Management

none. this is retail.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Unprofessional, the job was okay but than got fired and i wasn't even informed until i spoke to the manager!"

Former Employee - Stocking in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Stocking in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome discounts; Getting to know the products.

Cons

HORRIBLE HOURS you're lucky if you got 20 hours for the week.

Advice to Management

If you fire someone inform them, and if there's a schedule change inform them too. So unprofessional how the manager dealt with it. Oh you're fired for not showing up for certain shifts, but didn't inform me? They had my number they could have called but absolutely nothing. There's always improvements to do.

"Nice people, horrible job"

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the nicest people I have ever met. I still enjoy taking to them when I go in to buy thing (the ones that are still working there which is not many).

Cons

Dead end job with low pay. Don't get me wrong I did this as a seasonal employee, but many of my coworkers depended on this job as a real source of income. Most of them had another job in the mall as well because unless you are a manager you are part time. I love cosmetics, but this job sucked the fun right out of them. Having to tell every single customer "Welcome to Ulta" that comes in the door is just unreasonable. Especially when most of them don't even pay any attention to you do to talking on cell phones, listening to MP3 players, talking to the people they are with, or just being rude. It's like do you want me to stock this stuff or tell people hi when they walk in the door when I am 40 feet away? Pick one.

This is the first job that I have ever had that I just would almost want to cry before I clocked in. I knew it would either be dull as dirt or way too busy. I remember last years Black Friday and I worked at midnight. I thought, 'Who in the heck would be buying makeup at midnight?' They would go by the good deals on computers, TVs, vacuum cleaners before make up. But no, there was a crowd of people who almost knocked over the manager when she opened the door. People, it's JUST a Bare Minerals set (that a lot of people ended up returning after that.) Get over it. I proceeded to check out customers for a constant 3 and a half hours after that before I was told to take a break. DON'T WORK AT MIDNIGHT, if you are working at Ulta this Black Friday. Where will I be? Asleep, thank God.

Stocking is almost impossible because customers come up to you and say the same exact thing each time, "Do you work here?" To which I want to reply, "Nah I am just wearing black and white for the heck of it, and restocking these shelves because I needed something to do while I was shopping." If you see someone stocking, yes they work there. They should stock when the store is closed only. I would come in at 5-6am and stock until they opened and then keep stocking while having to keep an eye out for customers needing to be checked out. Too many interruptions to be productive.

I understand people steal and they have to assume everyone is going to steal. But having to have clear plastic totes for your stuff, having to have a green dot on all your cosmetic belongings, having clear lockers, and then having to be checked before you leave is just something I don't want to have to deal with. I am not a criminal.

At the end of the day this isn't a job where I felt I was helping anyone. I mean not in a real way. It was more of a superficial way. Now I know there is one in a million times where someone is helped in a life altering way because of something like a medical condition, but that doesn't happen on a daily basis. And I help people and animals on a daily basis now. I am finally happy being a Registered Veterinary Technician. And cosmetics can just be a fun hobby now. Not all I talk about all day long.

Most people I worked with are now gone. Even most of the managers and the salon staff. That tells you it's not somewhere for long term employment.

I ended up quitting when I just couldn't take any more of the mind numbness. Fist and only job I ever quit. But I was so relieved after I did.

And as for the employee discount, I didn't buy one thing while I worked there. I was just so sick of makeup to even buy any. And I couldn't spend any of my small paycheck on myself for things like that anyway.

If you want to work here, go for it. But don't expect to be able to be doing anything else and making much money for the time you are there. Everyone needs to work a crappy job so they can go out and find what makes them happy and really appreciate the career they have when they get it.

Advice to Management

None. It's just a store and they do what they feel they need to do. I mean the only thing I can think of is let at least some people other than managers be full time to some people have something to work toward.