Ulta Beauty - It's fun until the crap starts. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

"It's fun until the crap starts."

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant
Current Employee - Beauty Consultant

Pros

Lots of fun product
Decent amount of hours available (based on your performance)
OK discount on product (25%)
Good discount on salon services (50%)
Some customers are very gracious for your help, making your work rewarding.

Cons

-Very clique-y. Working with all women, it's inevitable. I'm just thankful the management likes me because my work life would be difficult otherwise.
-Poor pay. They expect way too much of their staff for the amount of work that's expected of them.
-Have to do janitorial work. Varies depending on the day, but it's common to have to sweep, run the floor cleaner, empty and take out garbage, mop the back room, clean out baskets, clean bathrooms, etc.
-Many unfulfilled promises of gratis for jobs well done.
-Have to con customers into signing up for Instyle subscription-- many come back angry later, waving credit card bill in hand.
-Have a 99.9% female customer base guarantees plenty of bitchy customers.
-Product training is limited to Prestige department, making it hard for the rest of the staff to have product knowledge. Prestige hours are the first to be cut, leaving the rest of the staff to answer many questions they don't know the answers to.
-There's not enough time to do everything that's expected of you...
-Schedules are constantly changed without notifying staff. Posted very late in the week as well.

Advice to Management

Quite cutting hours, making work harder for those remaining.
Provide staff incentives to make up for pay.
Make the dress code more lenient. No one can afford to keep up with the professional dress code on Ulta pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

"Not a place to get ahead in the company"

Pros

Disounts are a plus, but sometimes you are limited as to what you can buy when they have "Employee Appreciation Day"

Cons

Management lacks starting from General managers. They have their "favorites" as to who gets what type of special treatment. They say they have an open door policy but that is truly not a fact. Overall I believe management really needs to take a good look at themselves and decided whether or not "they" are able to handle their position. Very childish atmosphere. You literally have to fight for days off, you get no recognition at all. No respect to those who try to give help/opinions, get shot down right away. You are considered a "non-team player" if you don't agree w/their ideas. You get told you have an attitude when you don't have a "cheerleader personality" on a daily basis. The amount of work they give you in such little time is ridiculous. Expect the store to look at its best when literally there is no staff to keep it looking at its best. If they say it is all about "team work", then why are the General Managers and Assistant Managers always in the office doing "Paperwork" as so they say.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Show that you actually care and give respect and recognition

2. "Overall a great oppertunities"

Pros

I started off as a prestige consultant and worked my way up to management in a little over a year. The pay is comparable to other large retail chains.
    Love the environment!!! I have had other job offers, but just can't seem to leave Ulta behind. I love my team and my customers.
    Great gratis!

Cons

The training program is a joke. Ulta really needs to step up its game in this department. Sure anyone can sell Bare Minerals, Smashbox, and Urban Decay....but when we get new lines in and it's not a big name, we barely get enough information to be able to sell it.
    We hardly ever see our DM-although, members of management might be ok with it!
    Hours vs. workload is ridiculous. What they want us to accomplish in the small amount of time they give us is crazy. Also, when we are doing more business than the company forecasts, we can't add on hours.

Advice to Management

Put more focus on people development!!!!