Underwriters Laboratories - Good Job That Has Potential To Be Great | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Underwriters Laboratories

"Good Job That Has Potential To Be Great"

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time

Pros

Senior Management has a clear vision on how to grow the company and make it more competitive and secure. Promotes the importance of work/life balance and strives to provide ample room for professional growth.

Cons

Middle Management tends to manipulate, mislead, or otherwise lie to direct reports when confronted about tough issues such as compensation, bonuses, or performance appraisals. Insurance benefit is UHC with Medco Prescription Benefit rider, which is terrible if you've ever had to deal with them...

Advice to Management

Better training for middle management so that they will embrace the culture you are promoting - after all, you need them to execute it if you want it to happen. Drop UHC/Medco and go to BCBS. Medco is a roadblock between us and our doctor - they get to decide which prescriptions we can have and which ones we don't need. Why can't a doctor be a doctor any more?

Other Employee Reviews for Underwriters Laboratories

"Great 5 years so far"

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always room for advancement. A good company to grow with. Many employees with 30+ years with UL. Absolutely love my team and my bosses.

Cons

Certain departments are hard to get out. Some managers will block your transfer claiming that you are too valuable.

Advice to Management

Weak marketing strategy. Should spend more energy educating the public. After all the public are the users.

"10 years as an engineer."

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career. Great co-workers. Flexible hours. Can work from home on occasion. Good 401k match program.

Cons

Lack of training. Managers have no idea what you do, so there is a large degree of disconnect. Everyone is rated the same even though there are a lot of slackers at the company. Older engineers here that are not willing to implement any change in process to improve the customer experience.

Advice to Management

Get to know what your employees do and create more of an incentive to move up at the company.