UniFirst - A Revolving Door in Sales | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for UniFirst

"A Revolving Door in Sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides initial and ongoing training.

Cons

Management applies same sales metrics for all territories regardless of market opportunity. Always assumes the problem is the Sales Rep, not the territory. Sales cycle can be long, yet Sales/Branch Mgrs can change territories on a whim. Sales Mgr turnover high as well (think 18 mos). Emphasis on "boots on the ground" which can result in fewer sales opportunities per Rep.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge local market dynamics.

Other Employee Reviews for UniFirst

"They have over 80% turnover"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In comparison to other companies and their sales organizations I cant honestly think of one pro that Unifirst offers.

Cons

Wow, where to begin. I guess first thing is just look at the reviews its either five star or one star. Very little middle ground. Unifirst is very concious of their image as it relates to their ability to attract new salespeople and as such will "encourage" current employees to leave rave reviews and check on them later.

Now the "Cons"

Unifirst has a horrible rate of turnover that tops 80%. At that clip it's time for Unifirst to look inward because the system is broken.

I'm also confused by the folks that think the training program is great. It consists of watching video lessons in the office for five weeks and then being told to go into territory. I have been in sales over ten years and was shocked at the poor quality of training Unifirst provided.

They really believe they are on the cutting edge of technology by employing a cloud based CRM system. I was told that i was mistaken when I informed them that every competitor had adopted salesforce at least a couple of years before. These guys really do define the the stereotype of blind homers that fail to see the real world competitive landscape. Overall just not a very bright group of people in mid management.

Their base pay is by far the lowest in the industry. No matter what your geographical location the starting salary is $35k. They will give you $160 a week for gas and car and if you are among the 3% that meet the weekly quota you can make another $10k. That added together is where most of the competition starts their salespeople. One other quick thing to remember, if you do happen to join them, is during the first five weeks of training. You receive none of the gas allowance and will be paid $12 an hour. They like to wait until your first day to tell you that

There is also this creepy almost religious like devotion to the company founder. They have have a founders day party and posters with his likeness and sayings everywhere. The guy passed away a decade ago but he is spoken of like he is still in control. Its just one of those things you have to experience to understand.

Advice to Management

None

UniFirst Response

May 19, 2014 – Program Lead/Analyst, Talent Acquisition

UniFirst Corporation encourages employees to share information with co-workers and with those outside the company for the purposes of gathering information, generating new ideas, and learning from... More

"Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good sales training material and now I'm just trying to fill a 20 word minimum

Cons

Poor training execution. Where to begin? You spend the first month in endless over crowded video conferences upwards of 30 people which vidicon cant support (which is spotty to say the least) with the corporate trainer in Boston making coaching impossible.

The main problems with Unifirst are as follows.

1) They've just introduced cloud based CRM software (SalesLogix) but only have one application server to support everyone on it. They spent one can only imagine how much money on purchasing the sales force iPads, but didn't do the ground work to support it, and none of their systems have been integrated. They use CRM as a report card and general as it is not a use sales tool. Now that's not to say SalesLogix itself isn't great, bit since it's not supported it creates a lot of redundancies and rework. It's not uncommon to be down all day preventing you from entering in your activities. Unifirst is well aware of this issue, and when I asked what they'd like me to do after spending far too much time on the phone with it, my sales manager suggested I take it home and enter it in on my home computer. Seeing as how I already work a MANDATORY 10 hour work day I politely declined, which was not received well.

2) Speaking of system integration. I literally mean there is none. They have two desktops per sales office which have lotus notes. But, on the iPad itself, the calendar that's most beneficial to use on the road as you can schedule alarms for to do items and appointments are of course not synced to lotus notes. So whatever your sales manager schedules for you in lotus notes you better not forget to put it in the iPad calendar. Then you have the CRM calendar where they want you to schedule your appointments so it shows up on their reports and do you think that calendar is synced with anything else? So now we're at 3 calendars they expect you to manage. But don't forget, because they themselves know their systems are so shoddy, they want you to keep up with a paper planner as we'll. And of course let's not forget the calendar they expect to be filled out on your own time for you weekly plan which is the only thing they know how to use a spreadsheet for.

3) Carbon copy order forms. That should speak for itself. Folders for even the smallest accounts take about an hour, which again should be done on your own time. I could accept the fact that they don't have the money or ware withal to creat a software to input the data, but really? Corporate can't make this a spreadsheet?

4) The GM broke a plastic piece of our conference table in a sales meeting because a coworker asked a "stupid question."

My advise? If you left the 90's with rest of the world run away and never look back...

Advice to Management

Catch up to the 21st century and stop pretending to be "cutting edge" to lure in new talent. It's deceitful. Also, at the point at which your sales force turnover exceeds 80%, perhaps it's time to take a look inward. Not that they'll ever take advice!

UniFirst Response

May 19, 2014 – Program Lead/Analyst, Talent Acquisition

On behalf of UniFirst I would like to extend an apology for your unfortunate experience. The UniFirst Sales Training mission is to maintain, expand, improve, and leverage our sales program in order... More