UniSea - My time at Unisea | Glassdoor

"My time at Unisea"

Current Contractor - Galley/Processor in Dutch Harbor, AK
Current Contractor - Galley/Processor in Dutch Harbor, AK

I have been working at UniSea as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

All the jobs are not hard they are repetitive. The bosses are nice and so are most of the people working there. The housing is good and they pay for your food and laundry. There are many different nationalities working there and over the many years I have worked there,(off and on since 1994,) I have made many friends from different parts of the world. My husband used to work there also. I brought my son and his friend up to work in 2010. They plan on going back up also. The galley has pretty good food and you never go hungry.

Cons

The only downside I think is that you have to leave yor homeland be gone for a few months. At times it's boring and times that seem like the job will never end but then all of a sudden you are finished for the season.

Advice to Management

I think the management does a fine job. They will listen to your gripes or your concerns and will accommodate you accordingly.

Other Employee Reviews for UniSea

1. "Seasonal work"

Pros

Opportunity to sign up for a 401(K) after 1040 regular hours worked, about 7 months. Has a pension. Health insurance at $25 a month. Work with a diverse ethnic groups, african, russian, american, philipino.

Cons

Favoritism is pervasive. You can only get ahead if you charm the management of a department, and it depends on your race. Because it is seasonal, you can count on signing up for unemployment insurance twice a year to cover your living expenses while on off - season.

Advice to Management

It is in my personal opinion, that management needs to ensure that the hours worked is balanced with all the workers in a particular department. Some people are getting more hour, because they are guys.

"Good benefits if you willing to work the hours to recieve health insurance and 401 (k)."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technician
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technician

Pros

Time off to pursue other interests and work. Great people to work with. Always time to joke and laugh when working. Good communication with the Director and supervisor.

Cons

Wet, hard work, sometimes miscommunication of what is expected. Seasonal work, low pay.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more honest about the workload.