Uniden - Uniden had been a good company for a long time: I don't know how long it will continue to be one. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Uniden

"Uniden had been a good company for a long time: I don't know how long it will continue to be one."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

1) Uniden has a history of employee-oriented management. The retention rate and employee loyalty is very impressive: it's not unusual to meet employees who have worked there for ten years or more. Management has always pushed the "our employees are a family" attitude, and support for personal issues and outside lives has been very strong. For example, Uniden has absorbed the increases in health insurance premiums for the past four years, so even though insurance costs have risen at least 30%, the cost to employees has remained the same: that's a huge commitment from the company.

2) Uniden's benefits package is pretty generous. Compared to other companies I know, Uniden covers more of insurance costs at all levels. The benefits are also handled essentially as pay: this makes the packages very flexible, and you don't "miss out" on the compensation if your insurance is covered by another source.

3) The company is not stingy with bonuses.

Cons

Recently, the corporate office (Uniden Japan) has been asserting more control over Uniden America, and this has caused a lot of problems. Some examples:

1) Corporate is pressing a "reduce costs at any costs" strategy, and they aren't listening to the warnings from local management that the quality of the product matters more or that we are jeopardizing a 30-year reputation with customers and retailers.

2) After 2 rounds of layoffs, they have sliced past the fat, through the muscle, and in several cases down to the bone. Even worse than the layoffs has been the "cancel all open personnel reqs" policy. My department is down 40% on resources, and the remaining people are on the verge of burnout.

3) There's a recurring pattern of corporate sending liaisons from Japan and letting Uniden America invest a lot of time and effort into training them; as soon as the liaison gets up to speed on the procedures and demonstrates competence, corporate pulls them back to Japan (whether the person actually wants to go or not). This causes Uniden America to essentially "tread water" instead of actually making any progress.

4) Corporate doesn't support technology improvements or software upgrades. They know how to use Lotus Notes and MS Excel, and they just kludge every single task into those two tools.

Advice to Management

For Senior Management of Uniden America, I don't have any advice. They seem to be on top of the issues, and they have done their best to mitigate the effects.

For Senior Management on Uniden Japan, I would encourage them to listen to the local senior management (and not just in America). When two presidents in a row resign for essentially the same reasons, that usually indicates a real problem that needs to be solved.

Other Employee Reviews for Uniden

1. "Work Life Balance"

Pros

This is all start of my work experience. If you were motivated, you would get a multiple opportunities. This company is not a typical Japanese company. You can work your way up by skipping seniority and titles.

Cons

Bad work life balance. They keep you to wait for nothing at work. They demand your work 24/7.

2. "stay clear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Uniden (More than 8 years)

Pros

nice paycheck for several years

Cons

Rapidly declining sales, not enough product development

Advice to Management

find new products to sell