Union Pacific - Union Pacific has continually proven to me their support, care, and development of their employees. | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Union Pacific has continually proven to me their support, care, and development of their employees."

Pros

I feel UP cares about their employees through competitive salaries, reviews each 6 mo with potential for raises, excellent benefits, PENSION (for non-union jobs), and training and development opportunities. If you choose to have a positive attitude and strive to do well, you are recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Unfortunately, there can be times you're in a job you don't like or you don't care for your manager. However, with such a large company you have the opportunity to apply for a different department and a different job. I was in a job that I didn't like, and I applied and received a new position. I am now at a place where I can say I love my job!

Advice to Management

I worry with changes in work styles with our younger generations, the schedule and lifestyle in our train crew and management careers will not stay appealing to younger people. If there are ways to evaluate a better work/life balance for those careers I feel that will help UP stay appealing to our youth.

Also, creating a more fun work environment. We are a big company but many youth aren't familiar with us. They are familiar with Google, Apple, and I feel part of that is the fun work environment they create. If we can find ways to make a more relaxed environment I feel it will help with employee satisfaction (more casual attire for example). I know the "fun" environment is a trend in the tech industry, but I feel it's a trend that works.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"HDC"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

8 hour shifts, Good money and okay benefits. If your not very ambitious and just want a job this might be okay for you.

Cons

24-hour shift work, Holidays, poor leadership, undereducated management, a black hole for career advancement. Nepotism, reverse racism and a toxic atmosphere. UP as a company is okay but HDC is not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

When your employees are trying to Unionize that should send up a red flag that something might be wrong. Get it addressed or deal with a Union.

"Great company. I am proud to work for Union Pacific."

Current Employee - Manager Terminal Operations in North Platte, NE
    Current Employee - Manager Terminal Operations in North Platte, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement. You set your own limits. There are lots of different career paths that you can choose. You can train across different company functions if you want. The company encourages growth among its managers and rewards them for their hard work. At the end of a day, you can be proud of what has been accomplished.

Cons

You work hard for the pay. Plan on some long hours. We are a 24/7 operation and you will have to work all hours if you are in the field. Holidays and weekends are just another day out here. Plan to work in the elements if you are an operations employee.

Discover more reviews about Union Pacific.