Union of Concerned Scientists - UCS is a really nice place to work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Union of Concerned Scientists

"UCS is a really nice place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

One of the best places to work!

Cons

culture is to work hard

Advice to Management

none

Other Employee Reviews for Union of Concerned Scientists

"More Sales than Science"

I worked at Union of Concerned Scientists full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're working with lots of intelligent people who are often well-connected in the science world.

Cons

I was in outreach, and what this basically meant was calling UCS members repeatedly (sometimes I was ordered to call the same person half a dozen times) to try to convince them of whatever the issue was that week: attending a convention, writing a letter to the editor... It really started to feel like harassment towards the end. And that's basically all I was ever allowed to do. It seems like higher up employees are treated decently, but if you're starting at the bottom, it's basically a waste of time and energy.

Advice to Management

There was a pretty massive difference in the respect the scientific staff and the "non-scientific" staff received.

Union of Concerned Scientists Response

Mar 26, 2015 – HR Partner

This does not sound like UCS’s workplace and isn’t consistent with our mission or how we operate. Our staff are encouraged to provide feedback with an open door policy and exit interviews as we... More

2. "Great atmosphere and committed employees, but limited opportunity for professional growth."

Pros

Great benefits. Collegial work environment. Opportunity for flexible schedule, depending on your supervisor or position, but not available to everyone.

Cons

Flexibility, work-life balance and professional growth depend almost entirely on your immediate supervisor. Starting salaries are low, Limited opportunity for advancement. No transparent process for promotions.

Advice to Management

Spend less time on performance reviews and more time thinking about professional development. People are often pigeon-holed in one type of position.