United Airlines - A promising company in a fascinating industry | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Airlines

"A promising company in a fascinating industry"

Current Employee - Business Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tons to learn in a complex, highly-competitive industry
- Career mobility is top priority and encouraged
- A great time to be a part of creating the new United after merging with Continental
- Lots of smart, hard-working, and down-to-earth people

Cons

- Still trying to shake off latent bureaucracy and improve inefficient processes
- Culture in flux after merger, and not clearly defined
- Unions and fuel prices make consistent profitability extremely difficult
- Need to standardize how good personal performance is rewarded and poor performance is corrected

Advice to Management

- Need to develop much more customer-centric culture; United is in the customer service business, not airplane, IT, or operations businesses
- Employees need to feel valued and appreciated more. We need the Working Together behaviors to be widespread
- We need a much more robust performance assessment process, that clarifies expectations and appropriately rewards and holds people accountable. 360-degree feedback for all employees would be a big win
- United needs a mantra to improve efficiency and find ways to signficantly reduce costs; consistent financial success over the cycles is needed to round out the health of our company

Other Employee Reviews for United Airlines

1. "Interesting business, lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Business Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging business, opportunties to move around to new parts of business, focus on culture, passionate employees, great location, great benefits, especially the flight benefits. Work life balance is outstanding.

Cons

Low margin business-challenging to focus on long-term given short-term challenges

Advice to Management

Continue to look for low cost ways to boost employee morale. Small things matter almost as much as big expense items.

"After a few months..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like the company in general. The people are polite, but still laid back. They take an interest in me and my development. The flight benefits are also great- you may have to be a little creative to use them but I've been able to go everywhere I want to.

Cons

Like anywhere, your boss and the people in your department can make or break your experience. I don't really like the group I currently work for.

Taxes on the flight benefits- not really United's fault, but I wish they had explained it better. If your +1 on you flight benefits is not your spouse, you are going to be taxed on them using your flight benefits. Round trip between Chicago and Washington DC costs me $85 in taxes, so it can add up.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people who you have working in middle management roles are good leaders and take an interest in their employees.