United Methodist Church - A connectional system, with potential for growth and the resources to become relevant in today's world. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Methodist Church

"A connectional system, with potential for growth and the resources to become relevant in today's world."

Current Employee - Pastor in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Pastor in Columbus, OH

Pros

Connectional structure and an international network of resources to work with. A history of thoughtful theological discourse with the tradition and experience to use in today's world.

Cons

It's a declining mainline denomination that needs to reassess and reevaluate its leadership structure in order to become relevant to today's cultures. Our theological heritage is valuable; now we need to figure out how to promote that heritage in a way that connects with today's seeking people.

Advice to Management

Understand that there are lots of hoops to jump through still for people entering into this field, but the hoops have changed. Today's culture and today's incoming clergy are different than what previous generations experienced. In addition, our most effective clergy face burnout and frustration when spending many years in local churches. Opportunities for continuing education abound, but are not always promoted. In addition, newer clergy need to be assessed for their ability to lead and to administer.

Other Employee Reviews for United Methodist Church

1. "Catedral Metodista de Niteroi"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

Pros

Good people, good work. I love to server the Church Methodist. A good place to work.

Cons

Nothing to say. Woud be perfect if i work in USA.

"A great place to develop your work skills and faith at the same time."

Current Employee - Full Time Local Licensed Pastor
    Current Employee - Full Time Local Licensed Pastor

I have been working at United Methodist Church full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stability in workplace, broad range of relationship development, growth potential, benefits, housing for Clergy.

Cons

Itinerant system for Clergy, recently reduced pension plan, inability to avoid irrational individuals with agenda.

Advice to Management

If you want to recruit new and younger Clergy, you shouldn't cut pensions. I believe that we would have more stability if appointments were in two year increments except in rare instances.