United Rentals - United Rentals provides me with a career path, goals, and a sense of achievement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Rentals

"United Rentals provides me with a career path, goals, and a sense of achievement."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Experienced, strong leaders
Vision for the future
Truly believes in partnership with customers, not just supplier/purchaser relationships
Encourages leaders to recognize and develop talent

Cons

There aren't many cons for me. I've experienced dramatic swings in the economic situation, and those fluctuations have taken us from one extreme to another, with risks at both ends. A couple years ago, we had hiring freezes, layoffs, consolidations, etc and now we're growing fast that it's difficult to maintain a high level of service without the infrastructure supporting current activities.

Advice to Management

See all projects through to completion before piling on more. Allow time for each to be absorbed and adopted fully before building the next step. Not saying only do one thing at a time, but make sure each initiative is fully in place before trying to move on to the next.

Other Employee Reviews for United Rentals

1. "Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposed to all aspects of the business cycle.

Cons

There was poor management leadership and many of the employees didn't get along. The manager seemed to encourage the division amongst the employees.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to see more communication amongst the staff members.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are good overall. Great benefits.

Cons

Older employees tend to be first to go during a head count issue, business downturn, etc. Company is very youth minded, focusing on the future of the company. When you cross into your 50's, watch out. You no longer represent the future for the company, and you are at a greater risk to be moved out as soon as a reason can be found other than discrimination. Older applicants with years of experience always lose out to younger college grads with no experience in the business. Very costly.

Advice to Management

A company needs youth for the future, but, it also needs the wisdom and experience of others. Allowing older employees to train the young is more economical than pushing the young through a seminar, and then out to stumble around as they learn.