United Rentals - Work 50 to 60 hours a week for a less then the industry average paycheck. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Rentals

"Work 50 to 60 hours a week for a less then the industry average paycheck."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Good benefits, a lot of freedom, set your own schedule. Good sales meetings, one of the largest in the industry, a lot of good people to work with.

Cons

Upper Management is not in touch with the field, United is very slow to adapt to market trends. United’s rates are too high they are trying to rent gear and get the same rates they were getting 2 years ago when construction was still rolling. Sales reps are only as good as last month’s numbers. It’s very hard to get answers on important issues. It often feels like you are own a drifting ship. If you have a bad branch manager you will get almost no support. Expect to work 50 to 60 hours per week for a less then the industry average pay check. There commission plan is still largely based on a booming economy and not today’s economy. There rental fleet is aging and is starting to break down a lot. They have gone to the big brother system with there outside sales reps and delivery drivers. They track there sales reps every move via the laptops in there sales trucks.

Advice to Management

Upper management should not be spending Millions on the big brother tracking systems. Instead they should take some of this money and buy new equipment. There rental fleet is aging fast and this is going to cause more and more break downs. This leads to very unhappy customers.

Other Employee Reviews for United Rentals

1. "Your not an employee, You are a number !!!!"

Pros

In the early years we did what it took to take care of the customers. The benefits are good and the people I work with make it a company I used to be proud to work for. Until recently I loved my job.

Cons

Upper management does not care about you. I was told that my position was eliminated and that for my new position I needed to take a 30% pay cut. I was notified on a Wednesday that it was in effect as of last Monday. How about that for communication from management. This company is going downhill on a daily basis and will not stop until they do something about the moral of the employees answering the phones.

Advice to Management

Need to communicate with your employees. I understand that cutbacks are needed but when it effects long term employees that are still working with company try to show some compassion and give an opportunity for employee to adjust. Not just sit back and tell them " it is what it is" .

"A culture of favoritism, and cover-ups."

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

The salary and benefits are good.

Cons

The upper management thinks they can set nationwide policies and procedures that will fit all 600 branches of the company, regardless of the markets. They have everything they do written down in policy and procedure bulletins, but the rules are routinely ignored, and if you report it you are subject to retaliation by your manager. They just eliminated another batch of people, and they picked some of the best people to get rid of, thinking they can get the same job done with less people, or that they can hire idiots for less money. We'll see how it works for them.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to do, and stick with it. Get back to the basics. The ability to manipulate a scorecard in the system should be the least of a branches worries, they should be out selling and renting.