United States Steel - Surma: Incredible businessman, removed from the process. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel

"Surma: Incredible businessman, removed from the process."

Former Employee - Process Manager
Former Employee - Process Manager

Pros

On paper this has to be one of the best companies to work for. Generous 401K contribution (5% company match), health benefits (I think my contribution was 40/mo for comprehensive), education reimbursement (12K/yr), and a push to move young people through the system to management as they tried to fill the gaps baby boomers were leaving when they retired.

Cons

I cannot speak for the environment at HQ or the Global Service area, as I worked on the production side of things out in the plant. But I will say that there was little regard for work life balance. I worked every third weekend, whether that weekend fell on a holiday or not. I worked 2 Christmases and 2 Thanksgivings, had holidays cancelled, worked 24 hour days etc. The only compensation I received was a day off available to me the following week. My business unit in particular was run more poorly than others, I think , but in general the mindset is that the longer you are at work, the more you are accomplishing which is false. There appeared to be great disparity between those who worked in HQ and those who worked in the plants.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel that their time is valued. Offer them small perks that balance out what they sacrifice. The people who work in the plants are the ones who make the company tick. There should be some additional compensation for those who have to ruin their cars, work erratic hours, risk serious injury, miss holidays, etc. Giving some incentive may accomplish several things. 1) people wont hate coming to work and they might actually enjoy themselves 2) They will be more motivated if they know their time will be rewarded 3) You may end up getting people from other aspects of the business interested in plant activities - this may result in management who is not out of touch with the day to day operations in the plants.

Other Employee Reviews for United States Steel

1. "USS has a secret society the public has no knowledge of - When will the employees become important?"

Former Employee - Management in Ecorse, MI
    Former Employee - Management in Ecorse, MI

Pros

Good Money if you want to work your life away and be threatened with your job on a regular basis. If you want to give your life to your job then USS is a place to go.

Cons

Upper managment has a culture that is a fake - they do not practice what they preach in regards to their code of businsess conduct. USS gives a good front to the public, but their Mgt. employees related to production activities are at the bottom of their priority list. USS has managers working that are treating people with no respect, violating the code of business ethics that upper managment say is crucial to their business performance. The Mgt. ignore doing what is right and follow their secret society alegance within - BEWARE!!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and make sure the managers below you are doing the same - investigate in detail all claims of non compliance and get to the bottom of the problems. Much wasted money and talents are being sacrificed do to a few key managers in existence within the organization. Remember it is the people doing the jobs and working in the trenches that keep the lights on and the steel going out the door for your profits. John Surma is out of touch with the ground level activities being masked by the many levels of Mgt below him this is unfortunate.

"Must adapt to this culture if wanting to succeed in it."

Current Employee - Staff Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Lots of opportunities within the company, strong professional development, tuition advancement paid for by company, all resources needed are available, every day is different & challenging.

Cons

The "old" mindeset still exists (no flex-time, no gym, etc.) and typical Union-Management struggles can be frustrating. Company must learn to change and adapt to "new" ways of organizational thinking.

Advice to Management

Develop new managers and give them face time. Eliminate the hierarchical approach that is found everywhere in this company. Communicate to managers and ensure they communicate these updates to their employees. Five-year incremental Service Bonus awards would be great for retention efforts!