United Stationers - All the talent has left. most were run out... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers

"All the talent has left. most were run out..."

Former Employee - GOM in Denver, CO
Former Employee - GOM in Denver, CO

I worked at United Stationers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay sometimes depends if you work at Lagasse ( bad pay) or United (good pay) It all started out good but as management got ahold of dept's things went to hell and in a hurry.

Cons

Management and H/R neither were very friendly. And you would thing that H/R was going to be a Dept. that you could trust. Yeah right. A bunch of back stabbers.

Advice to Management

Be nice to people. And I can't believe I have to say this to the H/R Dept. but DITTO... be nice to people.

Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers

"Director of National Account eTail Channel"

Current Employee - Channel Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Manager in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company with pretty good operations

Cons

no career path past middle management

"Tsk, tsk."

Former Employee - A Title is a Lose Term @ United in Orchard Park, NY
    Former Employee - A Title is a Lose Term @ United in Orchard Park, NY

I worked at United Stationers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They employee about 5,000 people. They have an excellent dedication to the community.

Cons

Cheap. Cheap with pay increases -not even the rate of inflation, benefits are less and less each year. Got rid of retirement plans. Moved to a PTO system rather than just plain old vacation/sick/personal time. They set unrealistic financial goals as an excuse for their frugal ways while still being able to look good to shareholders. They pride themselves on being a Fortune 500 company but consistantly are at the bottom of the list. United certainly is not a leader in the industry nor as employers. Systems are completely outdated and cumbersome. Not just for the employees, but for the poor customers trying to navigate! Respect levels towards hourly employees are little to none. They are treated as if they should be lucky to have jobs when in reality they drive this company and should be viewed and treated as valuable. It seems the less intelligent you are, the quicker you are able to move up the corporate ladder. Maybe that is because you are then more of a "bot"? (most of management won't even know what that means) I would bet my life all the really good ideas, processes and procedures came from hourly employees. But managers are not too dumb to take credit! Another reviewer stated the management feigns concern, and I believe that is true. It's as if they take classess because they all use the same mannerisms and verbiage. I guess the more apt you are to brown nose, be a superior's pet, whatever you want to call it, the more you can get away with and the less you need to be productive. Every company has cons. And it's just my opinion this one has more than the average.

Advice to Management

Spend some money! Get with this century. Take the lead, stop being followers. You have subpar service), subpar systems, subpar attitudes, subpar intelligence. Strive to be the best of the best. Learn how to spell, speak and act like professionals. Meh, I could go on but honestly, I don't care and you probably have some makeup to put on, or food to eat, a golf date to make or a text to send.