United Stationers - Director of National Account eTail Channel | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers

"Director of National Account eTail Channel"

Current Employee - Channel Manager in Deerfield, IL
Current Employee - Channel Manager in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company with pretty good operations

Cons

no career path past middle management

Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers

"Tsk, tsk."

Former Employee - A Title is a Lose Term @ United in Orchard Park, NY
    Former Employee - A Title is a Lose Term @ United in Orchard Park, NY

I worked at United Stationers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They employee about 5,000 people. They have an excellent dedication to the community.

Cons

Cheap. Cheap with pay increases -not even the rate of inflation, benefits are less and less each year. Got rid of retirement plans. Moved to a PTO system rather than just plain old vacation/sick/personal time. They set unrealistic financial goals as an excuse for their frugal ways while still being able to look good to shareholders. They pride themselves on being a Fortune 500 company but consistantly are at the bottom of the list. United certainly is not a leader in the industry nor as employers. Systems are completely outdated and cumbersome. Not just for the employees, but for the poor customers trying to navigate! Respect levels towards hourly employees are little to none. They are treated as if they should be lucky to have jobs when in reality they drive this company and should be viewed and treated as valuable. It seems the less intelligent you are, the quicker you are able to move up the corporate ladder. Maybe that is because you are then more of a "bot"? (most of management won't even know what that means) I would bet my life all the really good ideas, processes and procedures came from hourly employees. But managers are not too dumb to take credit! Another reviewer stated the management feigns concern, and I believe that is true. It's as if they take classess because they all use the same mannerisms and verbiage. I guess the more apt you are to brown nose, be a superior's pet, whatever you want to call it, the more you can get away with and the less you need to be productive. Every company has cons. And it's just my opinion this one has more than the average.

Advice to Management

Spend some money! Get with this century. Take the lead, stop being followers. You have subpar service), subpar systems, subpar attitudes, subpar intelligence. Strive to be the best of the best. Learn how to spell, speak and act like professionals. Meh, I could go on but honestly, I don't care and you probably have some makeup to put on, or food to eat, a golf date to make or a text to send.

"Welcome to the 80's"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at United Stationers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Telecommuting only in some departments, decent benefits, good senior leadership, great volunteer opportunities, good associate network groups.

Cons

Several employees are living in the past and have a childish mentality that includes telling on people. Change is a word that scares most...but not all departments are bad. Everything new is really from about 5-10 years ago.

I don't know how some people are managers or directors...just because they have been there for about 20 years and used to be the most knowledgeable a long time ago. There are people who don't know how to use great programs like excel or even laptops (wow). Definitely not the best place for young people to work at.

There are 2 different companies - United Stationers has more departments which people are miserable in. Lagasse seems more friendly and open to new ideas....has a younger crowd which definitely helps.

If you try to apply for a job in a fueding department, they probably won't hire you because of your background. There are also too many new people in some departments that have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Layoffs aren't always a bad thing. I couldn't ever be promoted in my dept unless I waited 10+ years. It would really be beneficial to find out how employees feel and do a massive clean up. There are a lot of people who are going to hit retirement...and in order to get fresh new talent, you need to make sure changes. It is a pretty good company but there's a few departments that are ruining the image.