United Stationers - Fortune 500 or Unfortunate INFINITY | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers

"Fortune 500 or Unfortunate INFINITY"

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people around you are usually what keep you coming to your job. Somewhat job security if you fly under the radar and keep your mouth shut while making the same salary (or less) year after year (starting after Mr. Gochnauer left).

Cons

Pay has decreased over the years even though a "quarterly review" pie graph with some color try to convince you otherwise. They change to a more expensive (for the employee) health care offering (which charges you to have a spouse) and then send letters asking why their costs have increased more than yours have. Internal systems make the vendors that do business with them cringe at how archaic the processes are. Managers that are part of the "good 'ol boy" club and have no educational background are rewarded to move up in the company. People who stream YouTube and Pandora are rewarded; if not promoted regularly.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line defense of your company. The MBA professionals that you have hired are more figure heads than industry leaders. Don't let your ego get into the way of vendor and customer relationships. Creativity and entrepreneurship are the keys to success in our dwindling business.

Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers

1. "route supervisor"

Former Employee - Route Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Route Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at United Stationers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good hours driving and length of routes

Cons

lot of hours depending on daily routes

Advice to Management

good upper management, however several operations managers lacked management skills

"Company just okay"

Current Employee - Channel Marketing Associate in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Marketing Associate in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, PTO is convenient, 401k is okay.
    They are finally investing some resources internally, but at the expense of letting others go. So we're expected to do more with less which I understand, but when we start sacrificing customer service, that is a problem.

Cons

Can't work from home, limited internal advancement. Making investments internally but not always investing in the right way.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! The working world is changing. You need to adapt and let us be more flexible so you can retain us longer.