United Supermarkets - Great People, Bad Pay | Glassdoor

"Great People, Bad Pay"

Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in Abilene, TX
Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in Abilene, TX

I have been working at United Supermarkets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, positive company culture, easy job, fifty cent per hr raises annually per coworkers, supportive managers, opportunities to advance to management positions

Cons

Limited number of full-time positions, no health or retirement benefits for part-time employees, scheduled hours very different every week, schedule posted with only one day notice and not available over the phone so if you're not working that day you have to go in to see if you work the next day, low entry-level wages, some supervisors make less than their employees

Advice to Management

If you want to minimize your turn-over, you need to create more full-time positions with benefits and salaries that at least can compete with other food service jobs (McDonalds, HEB, Walmart, etc).

Other Employee Reviews for United Supermarkets

1. "Overall a great place to work"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Lubbock, TX

I worked at United Supermarkets part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

United is a great place for those that enjoy team work, customer service, and flexibility. There are opportunities in multiple departments for any level of education.

Cons

I noticed occasional favoritism, but most of those matters were sorted out within a few months if the employee that was shown favor failed to perform. United eventually weeds out its bad apples. Unfortunately, there seems to be a steady stream of these individuals always seeking employment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Sacker/Checker"

Former Employee - Sacker in Perryton, TX
    Former Employee - Sacker in Perryton, TX

I worked at United Supermarkets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is exciting to work in a place that is brimming with the people of the community. Whether working or shopping, nearly 100% of the community came through our store monthly. It was a very interactive environment and offers some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

Cons

I worked as a Sacker for over a year before being promoted to Checker (a promotion I had to beg for). It seemed as though my particular store favored the female employees as many of them were promoted in a matter of weeks despite their work ethic.

Advice to Management

I would suggest more visits to local stores.