United Technologies - Huge company, lots of opportunity, but... | Glassdoor

"Huge company, lots of opportunity, but..."

in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

Large company with many business units to work with/for. Great mission depending on which business you work for. Tons of opportunity for movement within the company. Excellent benefits package with an employee education program (tuition reimbursement) that's second to none. Lots of work to do.

Cons

UTC is a huge, multi-national organization that sometimes feels like a mom-and-pop shop. Corporate often has expectations of the business units that are ignored or significant push-back is applied ("we've ALWAYS done it this way, why do you want to change now?"). LOTS of work to do. Annual bonuses only apply to the Senior Management/Executive Level.

Advice to Management

Tighten up adherence to policy (I know, you're already doing this, but individual BU leadership needs to take it more seriously). Hold management accountable, but also hold external contractors accountable when they don't deliver. Having the same company service your overall IT needs for 16+ years does not lend itself to efficient or effective operations. Make them re-bid periodically (every 3-5 years) to keep them honest and find savings for the company.

United Technologies2016-05-19
  1. "An ideal DC internship"

Former Intern - Government Relations in Washington, DC

I worked at United Technologies for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great company, great office. So many opportunities to get out into DC and get exposure to the political scene (and the aerospace/defense field). Exposure to high-level people as well.

Cons

Could have been more long-term projects for the interns. Summer is slow regardless, but lots of days where not much was going on.

United Technologies2019-10-15
  2. "I enjoyed my time with United Technologies"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Lincolnton, NC

I worked at United Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment. Management supported you.

Cons

None really. Maybe pay better.

United Technologies2020-01-20

Discover more reviews about United Technologies.