United Technologies - Great company and projects. Project planning methods need upgrades. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for United Technologies

"Great company and projects. Project planning methods need upgrades."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

Pros

Leading edge products that are actually helping the USA and the world. Efficient aircraft engines reduce our use of fossil fuels and Fuel cells let us run mass transit on clean hydrogen. The company has a fairly flat management hierarchy, which means that access to management is good. The work environment is professional without being stuffy.

Cons

Union rules and inconsistency of qualities of workers assigned make it hard to manage engineering projects. Management often allows projects, especially software to begin without nailing down the end customer requirements, which results in the software team having to code to "a move target" and therefore always being late because the estimates the team gave were based on fixed requirements. Flat hierarchy means less positions to move up into, so after a few years it makes sense to move on.

Advice to Management

Plan out your requirements a little more before beginning to work on a project. Get the end customer more involved in software requirements, then hold the line about changes.

Other Employee Reviews for United Technologies

"Perhaps we should call ourselves disparate technologies"

Current Employee - Aerospace Flunkie in Canoga Park, CA
    Current Employee - Aerospace Flunkie in Canoga Park, CA

Pros

I work for a division of Pratt & Whitney which is one of the major business units of UTC. We were purchased from the Boeing Company a little less than 3.5 years ago. Before that, we were owned by Rockwell International. I have worked for these three major multi-national corporations essentially without changing desks. Of the three, UTC is the second best. Regardless, I get to work on - among other things - rocket engines and I get to be part of hurling humans into space. What could be bad about that? UTC has, over all, really exciting products to be working on and I get to work on what I consider some of the most exciting. That's reason enough for me. Overall, as well, the pay and benefits aren't all that bad and the corporation tries to be responsible and respectful.

Cons

UTC is very hierarchical and backward-looking when it comes to its management style. The company is top-heavy with attorneys, overly protective of Intellectual Property, and verges on the paranoid with respect to intranet and Internet security. There is little trust displayed in how the corporation protects those interests it seems to divorce from the interests of its employees. They have also moved to outsource virtually all of their information technology assets. This appears to be unfortunate in light of the seismic changes occurring in web-based (Internet or intranet) services and the design principles behind them - sometimes referred to as Web 2.0. My experience is that very few people involved in IT (especially the "leadership") have little idea of what's going on in the outside world that is driving the development of web-based services.

So . . . when it comes to information technology as it is used in support of business processes and innovation, I would aver that United Technologies is well behind the curve and is digging itself a hole that may be hard to climb out of someday; maybe soon.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Learn to trust your employees a little more or, at the least, recognize that preventing what damage one or two people can do just might also be preventing a huge amount of progress and value-added innovation everyone else could have discovered or created if only you hadn't made it so clear you didn't trust them. Address this problem and maybe our technologies would REALLY be United.

"Run. Away. Now."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Farmington, CT

Pros

Employee scholarship program - free tuition, regardless of study area.

Cons

Incompetent middle management. Recently, there have been many lay-offs and movements of senior managers. Middle management has been aware of them, but failed to communicate any information to us. In fact, they herded us into a room and demanded to know what rumors we'd heard about the reorganization (while indicating that they knew everything and would not tell us about it).

Low recognition of staff. One of the products released this year had been under the guidance of someone who was laid off. The new manager came in and took all the kudos for the new product, with no indication that it had, in fact, been 90% completed by the previous team (including people still in the organization).

Advice to Management

Sack middle managers.