United Technologies - Average conglomerate | Glassdoor

"Average conglomerate"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

UTC is a strong company with a well managed portfolio. They have one of the best educational reimbursement programs in the world, which can be a big draw for someone looking to enhance skills. They have reasonably comprehensive benefits. UTC's ACE is a good, middle of the road continuous improvement system that keeps technical performance solid. The company has a pretty good balance in integrating new acquisitions, imposing a few "best practices" like ACE, but letting the companies run themselves for the most part. UTC has a very strong corporate ethics program.

Cons

As a publicly traded company, the emphasis is relentlessly on shareholder return. That means strategy and innovation always takes a back seat to quarterly earnings. Long cycle time business opportunities are all but lost. This can be a major shock to acquired companies which have aggressively invested and taken some risks to create a business, only to discover that their days of expanding their business through investment and flexibility are essentially over. Risk averse is an understatement. Compensation is middle of the road. We don't "hire the best because we want to be the best". We hire the average, and hope our best practices level the playing field.

Continue reading
    United Technologies2014-03-29
  1. "An ideal DC internship"

Former Intern - Government Relations in Washington, DC

I worked at United Technologies for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great company, great office. So many opportunities to get out into DC and get exposure to the political scene (and the aerospace/defense field). Exposure to high-level people as well.

Cons

Could have been more long-term projects for the interns. Summer is slow regardless, but lots of days where not much was going on.

United Technologies2019-10-15
  2. "Great while it lasted"

Former Employee - MFG Assembly Operator in Lincolnton, NC

I worked at United Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great electronic assembly work. Ability to move to different positions within the company. Offered many opportunities to cross-train in different areas. Great people, great facility.

Cons

High turnover rate, ok pay, moved to Mexico.

Continue reading
    United Technologies2020-01-30

Discover more reviews about United Technologies.