United Way - D | Glassdoor

"D"

I worked at United Way full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many colleagues were truly passionate about helping their communities, and were caring and devoted to their work. I met people I am proud to have as lifelong friends.

Cons

I believe the experience comes down to the Senior Management of the local United Way where one is employed. The head of UW where I worked had no idea how to treat, motivate or respect employees. Also, new initiaitves were constantly being started with no regard as to the resources available to make those initiatives successful.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover rate. Most employees leave jobs because of trouble with their bosses. I left the organization just a few years ago and there are only a handful of people left that I worked with. Turnover is costly to morale and to achieving objectives but the head in our organization did not seem to recognize that.

Other Employee Reviews for United Way

1. "Get everything in writing"

Pros

Community action, genuine desire to serve local community, stays consistent with mission and vision, transparent financials. Fiscally conservative and good local resource.

Cons

Very high turn-over. Poor employee engagement. Lack of trust within the organization, especially between employees and upper management. Poor job/career role expectations - almost deceptive, very unclear as to what you should be doing or what you were hired for or when/how role may/may not have changed with very little useful feedback or communication. Poorly run.

2. "Lack Luster"

I worked at United Way full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers in other departments were amazing. Generous, polite, helpful and always willing to help out in any capacity.

Cons

Management refused to offer training to sub-ordinate but always faulted employee for not knowing particular programs to complete assignments.

Advice to Management

If a new employee is unhappy - actually listen and not sweep it under the carpet and blame them. A new person is a true reflection of the department.