Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good start to your mortgage career and that's it

Aug 19, 2020 - Condition Splitting Specialist in Pontiac, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a great company to get yourself into the mortgage industry if you have zero experience. The free training is huge and a great perk.

Cons

There are A LOT and it would probably take me forever to think of them all and type them all out, but here is what comes to mind first. To start off, the pay is well below industry standards. They used to make it where you could bonus decent and that made up for it, but they do this thing now where every 6 months the analytics team "re-evaluate" every teams bonus structure and commitments and figure out a way to make you work harder for less of a bonus. With the way things have been going, in another 6-12 months you won't be able to bonus unless you're working 60 hours a week. But don't worry, sometimes you'll get a power cart and a pizza party to make up for the lack of money you're making, because, ya know... that pays the bills. Also, they have also made baseline commitments nearly impossible for new people to hit, yet upper management expects them to hit it every day, while making zero errors. They're set up to fail from the beginning and I feel very bad for these people. Secondly, the culture is terrible. It has such a cliquey high school feel to it and the employees are talked to and treated like children. There is rampant favoritism across the whole company and people are being promoted, not because they deserve it, but because they are well liked by upper management. Thirdly, you guys preach firm 40, which is one of the biggest lies ever. There are literally mandatory late nights every week and if you don't participate, you have to have a "valid reason". If you aren't putting in a bunch of OT every week, you're judged by team leads and looked at as "not a team player". Lastly... I used to really respect Mat, but I feel like the bigger the company gets, the less he cares about his employees. At the beginning of Covid he said nobody was getting fired, which was a lie. He said that he wanted to keep his employees safe... yet, another lie. The third floor has everyone packed in there like sardines and so many people are getting Covid... AND NOBODY IS BEING TOLD ABOUT IT. Word gets around, people find out things and shame on you guys for not giving team members a heads up to get tested. And now Mat is threatening to sue Underwriters that want to get out of the toxic work environment that is UWM and get a better job? What a joke. Keep underpaying all your employees, except your MSU buddies. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things, but that will give people an idea of the work environment at UWM.

Continue reading
    22 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for your feedback. We have so many entry-level opportunities for great candidates who have no mortgage experience, followed by countless opportunities to progress through the company. Our training, our perks, our incentives – they’re all in place to drive our teams to hustle hard and be recognized for a job well done. Our COVID safety and cleaning protocols went into place very early and are strictly observed, and added to regularly. We’re sorry after four years with us you chose to leave – best of luck in your next endeavors.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best mortgage company to work for

Apr 22, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly enviorment Great training Flexible scheduele Position growth Great salary

Cons

None at all, uwm has been great

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

IT review

May 17, 2022 - Business Analyst in Pontiac, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

great work family growth into other roles great place to start in a new field

Cons

no flexiblity no work from home no hybrid no adjustment to pay lower pay than what is normal for the IT field

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM).