UnitedHealth Group - A decent place to work, but not to make a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"A decent place to work, but not to make a career"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbia, MD
Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbia, MD

Pros

They have very knowledgeable employees

Cons

Average to below average salary
Weak bonuses
Most Promotions are given based on nepotism or friendships and result in people being ineffective in their positions

Advice to Management

Reduce all the layers of management
Dont let a new VP of Operations, coming from Account Management, bring their admin assistant over and make her manager when she has not been mentored for that position
Recognize your frontline employees
Hire managers and directors who are LEADERS and have people skills

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Good people working towards a better culture"

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

good knowledable people who work hard to deliver value to customers. There is an effort to change some of the culture and as it improves so will the company.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the bottom line. There is poor communication from top down. People want to be able to tie the value they deliver to customers to their own work. This requires some level of recognition for a job well done. This does not happen.

"It was a call center, so stressful and time off is virtually impossible"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional/Provider Phone Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great company to work for. They are a leader in the healthcare industry. Benefits are inexpensive although high deductibles. Overall a great company to work with.

Cons

Unable to get time off to even so much as go to the doctor. When you work and 8-5 job and so do the doctors, its kind of difficult. To make an appointment I was on my cell phone during break at my desk on the phone with my providers office and I felt like I was planning battleship with which days they had open and which days I may be able to get off.

Advice to Management

I understand a business need, however, with the call center areas, you need to make time off more liberal. If this means letting those go who are constantly on FMLA for reasons they shouldn't be or on a personally leave ALL OF THE TIME, then let them go. I knew a lot of people who were on FMLA over the allowed timeframe and yet they were still there.