UnitedHealth Group - Great leadership, great workers, but soft in the middle.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Great leadership, great workers, but soft in the middle...."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big company, lots of opportunity and room to move around. Leadership is strong and there are good programs in place to change the culture into one of accountability. Lots of telecommuting roles.

Cons

Grew fast through acquisition without fully maturing their internal processes or systems. This makes it a target rich environment, but a frustrating one. Change is resisted till they are in pain, and then it is resisted some more.

Advice to Management

There are middle managers who are awful and need to be eliminated. I've seen them in several areas of the company, where they fly under the radar because they have fewer than 5 direct reports and are not reviewed by their employees. There is a total lack of skip level meetings, so no opportunity to discuss any issues you may have with a manager when talking directly with THEIR manager.

The business is not supported by IT, but held hostage by it. They are condescending and outrageous in how they interact with the business. It would be a far more economical business to run if IT were outsourced. At least then, it would be clear who the customer is and contracts could be terminated for nonperformance. You need to invest in the next generation of systems because you are behind the times severely. Get out of the software development business. You are terrible at it. India wasn't the answer, they only made it worse. So now you can toss away failed projects that cost less, but failures none the less.

I'll never comprehend how a company this size can manage their money so poorly that they are in an annual third quarter bloodletting mode year after year after year. If the only answer to a balanced budget is to cut head count, then you are hiring badly and planning poorly. send your financial guys out to pasture and hire women who know how to keep a family of 6 afloat.

If you want to get really radical, take the company private. Save all the money you would invest in shareholder management and financial regulation and put it into the infrastructure that you so desperately need.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"So far, it's been great"

Current Employee - Health Advisor in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Health Advisor in Duluth, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, lots of paid time off, competitive wages

Cons

A little more training before going on phones

"A sweatshop with zero employee morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice on-site gym facility with a nice view of a wooded area. Also, I was impressed with the cafeteria that was also on-site.

Cons

Zero work life balance and no camaderie among employees of our department. Only focus was on meeting deadlines not on quality. It seemed that our my manager was as stressed as our department.

Advice to Management

Get your nose out your books and spreadsheets and really talk to employees. Do not rely employee surveys...the questions are written in a way to skew the results so things seems positive.