UnitedHealth Group - Great work-life balance; Boring projects; Non-competitive salary | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Great work-life balance; Boring projects; Non-competitive salary"

Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Horsham, PA
Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Horsham, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm an IT professional who worked on the Compas applicatioin for the Medicare & Retirement (previously known as Ovations) business segment. So this review is mainly in regards that.

As a whole, UHG is a great place to work. They have flexible hours with telecommuting options. No one's ever breathing down your back. There's always some sort of event that involves food and employee interaction. Great PTO from the start! The employees are what make UHG a good place to work. I've come to know a lot of great folks, and that was one of THE toughest parts about my departure.

Cons

The technical projects were not interesting. Project decisions and design were mainly provided by developer leads and their direct reports, thus not allowing professional growth in the full SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process for mid-senior level developers. The technology and methodologies are well dated. Projects and simple tasks take forever to complete do to the amount of red-tape and hurdles to get through. Seems like 50% of the development staff just want to manage. There's very few 'true' developers.

The department as a whole is disfunctional. They preach innovation but fail to be innovative. You have Developers telling Functional Analysts how to and what to write in their technical documents (use cases, system requirements, so on). Makes you wonder why even bother having FAs. The salary is not competitive. I basically got a 20K jump in salary after leaving! Oh, and there's basically a "re-org" every six months.

Advice to Management

Don't know where to begin.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Still Disorganized - Still Siloed - Still Hopelessly Clueless - even after three section changes in three years"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had hope for my newest section, though it is a REALLY bad sign when the section leader goes on vacation after hiring you (like the same day you come onboard, he is gone for two weeks) and then, when he comes back, he is no longer your manager. New mantra to self: "Don't take it personally... Don't take it personally... Don't take it personally". Brand new group - new people new to the org - bonus, right? Mostly, but they had never worked at a place like this and it showed.... Morale was down the toilet due to financial expectations on a group (in the millions) who had been in place like four months. Really? Seriously? Who was the genius behind all this?

Okay - back to pros... Telecommuting was nice. I liked the fact that the company was still supporting this, though I saw the job options for telecommuters dwindling in the past year. May be all jobs have been affected, not sure. Flexibility was nice, but that was a component of telecommuting, I believe. ESPP and 401K match were also good, but probably pretty standard. PTO was well above average, but you needed it in that place.

Cons

Health insurance was bad. Real bad. And costly. I didn't even buy it, it is so bad.

Disorganized and mismanaged workplace.

Siloed behavior - no one knew what was going on elsewhere.

Crazy, unreasonable financial expectations.

Turnover of personnel was through the roof - always hiring because always losing people. No continuity. Last group had 60% turnover in 1.5 years - only one non-Director person from the old group was still there when I left. The group before that had 100% turnover in 1.5 years, including the Director.

Crappy, outdated, broken systems - dozens of systems which are not integrated.

Too many entrenched, old, BULLY, boys-club management - they truly only want 'YES men' around them. Be prepared to be yelled at for not saying 'YES' to everything.

Tons of non-compliance and unethical behavior all over the place in all areas.

Advice to Management

Don't even know where to begin. Just glad it is not me anymore....

"Where engineers lose their relevance"

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Plymouth, MN
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are about what you'd expect
    Great lighting
    Modern parking lot
    It encouraged me to find something better.

Cons

Benefits are about what you'd expect
    You will watch your skills drain away while the industry passes you by
    Hostile, arrogant managers
    Mind numbing tasks, micromanaged to death

Advice to Management

Encourage people not to work here. Oh wait, you already do that. I contracted for more than a year and then converted to full time because I figured it *had* to be better than being a rental (their word, not mine). Forget it. You know those places where everyone is leaving because morale is so low and the only people that stay are those who have lost hope? This is one of those.