UnitedHealth Group - Run away! | Glassdoor

"Run away!"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Greensboro, NC
Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am not sure if there are any, I guess the pay is good for a work from home job.

Cons

You apply for the job and get hired for what you think is a clearly stated position and hours but once you settle into orientation it all changes. after about 2 weeks my group was told that their hours were changed to evening shift hours from day shift. the manager held up her hand and stated it was not up for discussion and reminded us all of our pay grades. Another manger (a male) threatened to interrogate us (all females) individually in a private room because we complained about the change and tried to complain about the change. It worsened over the next couple of months, denied time off, I was told that company needs were more important than attended my daughters high school graduation, they demand that you work overtime for no compensation but they deny you 1 hour to attend a family event. If you try to question them they call you into meetings where you are intimidated, bullied, and demeaned. They say they treat people that way because they can! I was told I could not contact HR to ask for a neutral party attend a disciplinary meeting because my pay grade didn't allow me to contact HR. When I did it anyway Hr confirmed that it was not company policy to deny HR to anyone, I was retaliated against by the manager and work from home revoked even though I had no disciplinary action take, my computer was tampered with and when I questioned, I was lied to by the IT department about what was wrong with it. HR had an outside person conduct an investigation about my complaints and validated me in all. I finally had to resign because of the bullying and intimidation so they tried to deny my unemployment benefits. during that hearing the manager and an internal UHC investigator lied multiple times which was proven by me and documentation, I won my benefits and am waiting an arbitration hearing. meanwhile 2 of these managers have been promoted... Can anybody say class action lawsuit?

Advice to Management

trat people with respect, when you try to force, bully, intimidate and demean people problems like this develop, there is simply no need for it. treat people respectably and they will do their job.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Good Luck...you will need it!"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good medical benefits, 401K, decent hours. Great co-workers (for the most part). Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate. Free parking.

Cons

Very poor middle management. Most Leads & Supervisors show blatant favoritism, if you are not a snitch you will be regarded as not being a team player or loyal. Supervisor asks what other associates are saying. PTO stands for Planned Time Off not Personal Time Off, you have to plan on being sick. No chance for advancement. Almost impossible to transfer from Fulfillment to Customer Service side. Outside hires are paid more than transfers (if you can get one). Middle management talks about associates in front of other associates. Low pay and high turnover, have watched a dozen people quit in the past 2 months, mostly for the way they were treated. Poor raises, know people who have been there over 5 years and they are only making a dollar more than those that started less than a year ago. I could go on and on....

Advice to Management

If you want to keep good people, you need to clean up some of your middle management people. Get rid of a few leads/supervisors that are causing people to quit. You have some really good supervisors and leads but the bad apples are driving some really good employees away. Just take a look at their turnover rate that should tell you something. Increase pay and either include some sick days or allow people to use their PTO and not get 'dinged' for emergencies.

"Great work-life balance; Boring projects; Non-competitive salary"

Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Horsham, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm an IT professional who worked on the Compas applicatioin for the Medicare & Retirement (previously known as Ovations) business segment. So this review is mainly in regards that.

As a whole, UHG is a great place to work. They have flexible hours with telecommuting options. No one's ever breathing down your back. There's always some sort of event that involves food and employee interaction. Great PTO from the start! The employees are what make UHG a good place to work. I've come to know a lot of great folks, and that was one of THE toughest parts about my departure.

Cons

The technical projects were not interesting. Project decisions and design were mainly provided by developer leads and their direct reports, thus not allowing professional growth in the full SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process for mid-senior level developers. The technology and methodologies are well dated. Projects and simple tasks take forever to complete do to the amount of red-tape and hurdles to get through. Seems like 50% of the development staff just want to manage. There's very few 'true' developers.

The department as a whole is disfunctional. They preach innovation but fail to be innovative. You have Developers telling Functional Analysts how to and what to write in their technical documents (use cases, system requirements, so on). Makes you wonder why even bother having FAs. The salary is not competitive. I basically got a 20K jump in salary after leaving! Oh, and there's basically a "re-org" every six months.

Advice to Management

Don't know where to begin.