UnitedHealth Group - Helping everyone live healthier lives except the Employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Helping everyone live healthier lives except the Employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free covered parking. Fair pay for entry level positions.

Cons

There is a demand for "mandatory overtime". The attendance policy is such that I worked for 3 days before going to the doctor to find out I had H1N1. When I called in on Monday to say I wouldn't be in, my boss told me that it would be counted against me on my attendance and adherence because it is January. I came to work anyway (sorry for spreading my illness) Customer service is less important that how fast you take a call. If a customer has deep issues regarding their medications, you must rush them off the phone because the clock is ticking. The rewards they give for a job well done are things you would expect in a junior high school; candy, pizza and such. If you have a sick child, you are not allowed to take time off to care for their needs. You must work, unless you are lucky to be employed in California where the laws protect parents who need to care for their sick children.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Moving in the wrong direction. Consulting candidates take note."

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Renfro, MO
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Renfro, MO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Embraces virtual work environment.
    Handful of knowledgeable and respectable people who are “in the trenches”.
    Interesting project work.
    Generous paid time off/vacation.
    Benefits and salary aren’t anything great, but you could do worse elsewhere.

Cons

I can only speak for the consulting area:
    Recent mass layoffs in Q4-2012 and continued uncertainty about further layoffs.
    - Layoffs did not target underperformers. Instead, it targeted people in certain locations who were managing others (in order to flatten the org). If a consulting firm’s main asset is its people, why would you ever lay off (and then subsequently hire back some) good people who are meeting or exceeding goals? To reward executives for smoke-and-mirror SG&A cost reductions??
    - Morale is at its lowest…and getting lower with each passing day.

Recent changes in senior leadership have rotated in people who can’t properly lead and executive leadership does not understand the core consulting business.
    - Laid off resources with strong client relationships and/or were exceeding targets. It appears that HR has more control over the business than the senior leadership team.
    - Prior leaders knew how to communicate what a “bench” is and how investing in people leads to bigger and better things for the team
    - Lip service to training. Why train someone when you can get 100+% utilization from them?
    - Some wonder whether Optum even wants to have a consulting arm in the long-term (let alone a high-performing one).
    - Very little cohesiveness and culture. You’re there to do your job and that’s it.

Reorganizations have occurred at least 1x/year. Some people have had 3 managers in the same year.

UHG, by and large, is a “cheap” company but Optum takes it to the extreme. Don’t expect any fun networking events, training or even company social events. Don’t expect top-notch software or hardware.

Optum is preparing to spin-off from UnitedHealthcare and is doing anything and everything to position the company in an optimal financial light for Wall Street. They’ve cut the fat, cut into the muscle and have hit the bone in several areas.

The IT policies and tools they provide are sub-par and at times, are a hindrance to getting the job done. Bureaucratic and arcane hoops to jump through are around every corner.

Expect to travel frequently, and most likely to the west coast or midwest…not the east coast.

Advice to Management

Stop disrupting your workforce with layoffs that are not based on performance. If you preach “grow revenue through headcount” at every town hall, why would you allow so many good people to be affected by a layoff?

Continue to flatten the organization…by eliminating the 4-5 layers of senior/executive leadership who are redundant, non-billable and can’t sell.

Invest more in your people (aka: your only asset). Training, networking events, etc. may cost money, but it’s money well spent if you want grow.

"If I could give this negative stars I would"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

The poor agents that have been duped by the "$25.00 an hour" lie. We are all there just to make it to a different job and need money until we can find it

Cons

Do not believe the ad that you will make $25 an hour. There is no way to get that amount. We have great salespeople that are experienced licensed agents and they can't make that amount. They do not care about the poor customers that are calling trying to figure out how to get health insurance. One of the supervisors is not even a licensed agent, yet talking to customers about plans and getting paid a 'bonus' on what the team sells which is clearly against Department of Insurance rules. Believe the previous posting about them asking for people to come in early and not getting paid. It's true. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. I know you may be desperate for a job (I was) but if you can hang on and find something else, do it.

Advice to Management

Try to realize that this job is only temporary for these people and even if the team tells you they like it, none (or very, very few) of them really do.