UnitedHealth Group - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to drive change and own processes
Exposure to broad array of work
Great opportunity for career advancement
Great, smart people

Cons

Recent leadership changes have caused some consternation within the ranks.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"If you read no other review, please read this one."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In a little over half a decade at Connextions, I've worked with some absolutely amazing people. Connextions would have gone under a *long* time ago were it not for the incredible team keeping the ship afloat behind the scenes. There's another reason, however, that's an infinitely more integral part of Connextions's financial success...

Cons

...it all comes at the expense of the employees. I, and nearly everyone else below the level of director, am paid *at most* two-thirds of what I'm worth, this according to every "average salary" website I queried. Not only that, but when you consider that each of the past 4 years the company-sponsored insurance premium has increased while coverage has either stayed the same or decreased, I've actually taken a pay CUT. I have seen many individuals who are responsible for literally *millions* of dollars of business for Connextions completely ignored in the "morale boosting" emails sent out by executives. I've never seen upper management so completely out-of-touch with the people who are responsible for their continued success. This is to say nothing of (absolutely non-existent) monetary recognition. Non-callcenter employees do not get pay-for-performance. You can code the solution to a huge problem, fix a million reports, solve a massive technical headache, work overnights/overtime on salary, close hundreds of helpdesk tickets... for nothing. No recognition, no raises, no bonuses... nothing. Not even the faintest whiff of a thank you from the higher-ups.

Please bear in mind that I *do not* work on the floor as a callcenter agent. They have it even worse: FTO, or forced time off, not announced until they've driven 30 minutes to work in some cases. Nearly impossible-to-obtain pay-for-performance. Inept management. Favoritism. If you *are* unlucky enough to end up a callcenter agent, come to work in a dress shirt and tie, be professional, nail your metrics/KPI and then enjoy your new position as coach/supervisor in a few months. I've seen it happen at least a dozen times. This is probably the only glimmer of hope I have to offer someone who's thinking of applying to Connextions.

The CEO of Connextions, Jack LeFort, is your typical detached executive. His belief is that unless you take on additional responsibility or "bring something new to the table" that you do not deserve a raise. Apparently the man has never heard of inflation or a cost-of-living increase. The sad thing is, I and many other people have taken on *huge* new responsibilities month after month, year after year, with no increase in compensation. I know of half a dozen people who've gotten promoted to a new position without an accompanying raise, even when its been promised to them. Also, even though Connextions now serves the top 7 largest insurance carriers in the country, the "benefits" are still a joke. $4,000 deductible on a plan with a $200/month premium? Really? How do you expect your workforce to be able to pay that on the pittance you send them home with? You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself, Jack. I certainly hope you don't consider yourself a Christian.

I and every co-worker I've spoken to (dozens, if not hundreds) feel the same. In short, you'll be overworked, underpaid, lied to, taken advantage of and ignored.

Advice to Management

Actually live up to the oft-spouted motto of Connextions: Excellence always. Pay people a livable wage. Stop lying to applicants to make staffing levels for AEP. Stop hiring people from outside the company when you have talented people inside. And for the love of God, haggle with one of the many insurance carriers with which you do business and provide your employees with a halfway decent insurance plan.

"Worst job ever"

Former Contractor - Retirement Reimbursement Representative in Oldsmar, FL
    Former Contractor - Retirement Reimbursement Representative in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a few genuinely nice people.

Cons

As the RRA members suggest, "THE LEFT HAND DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT HAND IS DOING". Although I was a Contractor, United Health Group is one of the most disorganized companies I've ever had the displeasure of being assigned to. Management is two-faced, and they play favorites. They treat contractors like crap!! There is a significant amount of unprofessionalism. Sometimes, I thought I was in Junior High School instead of in the workplace. Hard to believe their the top Healthcare company. They obviously did something under-handed to make it to the top. Just ask the elderly individuals they service. I can't say enough about this organization. If you can avoid this place as a Temp or Regular employee, please do!! You can do better than United Health Group. Trust me!

Advice to Management

No comment.