UnitedHealth Group - Flexible, but no interest in employment development. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Flexible, but no interest in employment development."

Current Employee - Enrollment in Lisle, IL
Current Employee - Enrollment in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am a telecommuter that has been the only benefit in my position. They offer a wealth of employee centered programs.

Cons

I have been in the same position for over 6 years, with no employee development opportunities or employee advancement. I have been very ambitious and express my desires to all my managers which has a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, experience and dedication should carry employee who may lack the education a long way within the company. Allow employee to shadow and explore other facets of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Your experience depends on your manager"

Current Employee - SharePoint Administrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - SharePoint Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UHG offers a very competitive benefits package, and in certain offices very nice and handy amenities. Attention is given to work/ life balance. Some managers really go out of their way for you to assist you. You do get enough free time to make some cool projects on your own at times.

Cons

It is a large organization. Some managers may not even know what you do. Look up "matrix organization" to learn what you will be in for. There can be very little accountability and most decisions will end up being decided through politics. Network with leaders, look for movers and shakers, or count on your career stagnating.

Advice to Management

The thick layer of middle managers creates a recipe for lack of accountability and enormous redundancy. Way too many planners and not enough doers. Unfortunately cutting the ranks of PMs would cause a revolt.

"What was once a great place to work is now horrible. Stay away unless entry level or unemployed."

Former Employee - Senior IT Systems Management Consultant in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Senior IT Systems Management Consultant in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule, Work remotely via VPN, Plentiful free parking, good 401K matching, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Easy to travel to, pay cafeteria on site,

Cons

Constantly in a state of re-organization and change, poor healthcare benefits, little to no investment into training for IT employees, no career path options, expected to go way above and beyond job description and grade level without financial compensation or authority to perform role (in an individual contributor role, I was expected to manage a team with 8 direct reports and 25 subordinates), expected to manage your managers and manage up, senior management talks the talk, but does not walk the walk with regards to the Optuminsight code (Integrity, honesty, etc).

Advice to Management

Execute on a plan to completion to rectify the poor scores on the annual vital signs employee survey that's given every year. Year after year the scores on the vital signs surveys are consistently negative in the areas I've outlined in the cons section of this review. The employees are speaking to you but you are not listening.