UnitedHealth Group - Great company, great culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Great company, great culture"

Current Employee - Director in Basking Ridge, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative, Challenging, Good work/life balance

Cons

sometimes business politics gets inbetween innovation

Advice to Management

Get the Business units talking to IT on a regular basis

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"UHG is a solid company that has innovative ideas for healthcare products & services for Americans."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

UHG is a company committed to providing services and creative solutions in both the healthcare & services sector. They leaders promote innovative ideas in many areas -- reimbursement methologies, benefit services & technology just to name a few. Adopting a "culture" within the company from a top-down approach speaks to their desire to be a leading company were people have a want to be be employed.

Cons

With all of the acquisitions over the past years, our customers really don't know who we are... The compnay need to strategically consolidate both business & technology functions to increase our 'brand' awareness. The daily activities to accomplish projects are swamped with "process" -- it needs to be streamlines/reduced for more effective and efficient productivity. More controls are necessary to limit the amount of off-shore resourcing so that the the knowlege stays in-house & on-shore.

Advice to Management

Share the profits with the employees who work very hard to delivery quality products & services that enable the company to thrive. A dividend is nice for stock holders, but rewarding employees (merit increase & bonuses) will go a long way in encouraging employees to work even harder and smarter. This will lessen the attrition of highly skilled workers.

2. "Overall it was a good place to work. I loved the people I worked with and that made it worthwhile."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Waterloo, IA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent and the supervisors were very supportive. They were encouraging when there were customer calls that were frustrating and would go to bat for you if you had a difficult issue to deal with.

Cons

There was not a lot of opportunity for advancement at the call center I worked in. They hired large groups of people at once and did group training so once you did have the experience and opportunity to apply for a higher position, there was a lot of competition for it. There were not openings for expert positions very often as people stayed in those positions long-term once they got them.