UnitedHealth Group - Pays very well...at a price | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Pays very well...at a price"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive
Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started with the company, I was working locally before moving into large corporate accounts. The best thing I can say about working for the company is the people and the training opportunities. I developed some close friendships with a lot of people and still stay in touch with them. United does invest a lot in their employees and they do hire very qualified and educated people. They also do pay extremely well compared to other companies. They are also a very technologically advanced company and customers like that.

Cons

Although they hire the best and pay you extremely well, it comes at a price. There is no work/life balance in this type of role in the organization and it is very stressful. Most roles there do require a lot of work. They demand a lot from their employees. You are expected to put in long hours and you have to get the job done no matter what. I suffered from extreme anxiety, insomnia and fatigue when I was there and that was one of the reasons I left. Also, this is a VERY corporate environment, so if you are not into that type of environment, I would suggest staying far away. I have also seen managers leave because of the stress. Also, the benefits are not good now. Everyone is on a high deductible plan. No one sees the doctor because of everything is out of pocket until you hit your deductible.

Advice to Management

Don't get too caught up in corporate and be more engaged with your employees. I have seen many managers who were brainwashed by UHC's corporate life and "corporate speak". Also, I never thought our customers would understand the corporate sayings or value statements we were supposed to promote. They just want a fair price for their healthcare, not all of the extra fluff.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

1. "Company is very bottom line driven"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very technology driven, makes money, for profit mentality.

Cons

For profit mentality at all costs.

Advice to Management

The key to success is your relationship with your employees...this is still lacking. Weakest link is Human Capital dept.

"Politics and more politics"

Pros

A way to break into the healthcare industry.

Cons

Politics! If you don't know how to play the game good luck getting promoted. Higher tier positions are not rewarded with higher tier pay. Instead they preach about the amount of experience you are getting.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people you're promoting are qualified to do the job.