UnitedHealth Group - Company reluctant to invest infrastructure and resources in existing business lines | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Company reluctant to invest infrastructure and resources in existing business lines"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
Former Employee - IT Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good learning experience for an IT person, really using some cutting edge technologies
- Good pay
- Good people at the front lines, for the most part
- Decent 401K options

Cons

- Lots of turnover for high performing IT talent, due to burnout
- Lots of churn at upper management, so there was no solid course to follow
- Company has money for acquisitions, but reluctant to spend money on infrastructure improvements & resources for existing businesses/products, resulting in aforementioned burnout as the same number of people try to cope with constant growing pains - perfect example of a "jobless recovery"
- Health insurance offering is uninspiring

Advice to Management

Maybe there's a reason I don't know about for focusing so much on acquisitions (besides just chasing after higher and higher short-term stock prices), but I'd recommend spending more time and effort reinvesting in existing business product lines for more stable long-term growth and less churn. UHG has gotten a bad reputation among the local IT community for their boiler room mentality, and that's going to make talent acquisition harder and more expensive in the long run.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"It is a pay check every two weeks."

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provides me with the opportunity to pay the bills that we accumulate. Every two weeks. Work environment is clean and orderly. Immediate management tries as hard as they can to make life at work good. My commute is good.

Cons

No incentive to do better. No feeling that you can make a difference. No feeling that anyone gives more than lip service to their rhetoric about making a difference. Process is king, not results. I've never worked in a culture that accepts defects being installed as the cost of making a deadline. Quarterly ONLY release schedule has the counter effect of inducing people to accept flawed software just to get it installed.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about the IT customer and less about IT being a profit center.

"16 year Former Employee Hired by HPN who sold to UHC"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you work in MN you are more likely to be appreciated, however, I worked in Las Vegas for 16 year
    years. The last four years of employment forUHC

Cons

Changes, Changes and more changes.
    Poor management to employee communication. Poor sr management to lower management communication. If you do not work in MN location they do not value you as employee.

Advice to Management

Put importance on length of time employees invest in employmnt with the company.
    Respect employees for the job they do