UnitedHealth Group - Solid Organization From Top to Bottom | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Solid Organization From Top to Bottom"

Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UHC is innovative, aggressive, and fleet of foot in our marketplace. We seem to be successful in achieving a footprint where we choose to leave one. This means opportunity.

Cons

Sometimes I feel we might be a little too large. We think big and with the thinking big mentality we sometimes lose site of the little guy. However, the local markets appear to be a huge asset.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing, but do some more mentoring for new management employees. Tough to learn all the systems.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Opportunity to make a difference in the healthcare industry with a Fortune 20 company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Engaging work in the healthcare industry with a company that wants to make the system work better for everyone
    - Virtually unlimited career advancement opportunities within the rapidly-growing Optum segment, the well-established UHC companies or the parent company, UHG.
    - Managers encourage promoting up/across to a different job/segment
    - Competitive pay and benefits

Cons

- Heavy workload due to expanding business
    - The normal challenges you would expect with a large publicly-traded insurance/healthcare company.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee engagement.

"Very political in nature, depends on who you know."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and PTO was fine.
    Most employees were very helpful and did the best they could given their workload. My dept had wonderful employees - dedicated and hardworking!
    Benefits OK but not great.

Cons

Very, very (!) political environment. If someone higher up doesn't like you, you are done. If you give your opinion and it doesn't agree with theirs, you're done. Even when it's your job to point out possible future issues (so they can be avoided), middle and upper management won't like it and you'll pay. Best to just agree or brown-nose.

Also, the number of layoffs were incredible - our (smallish - 200 employee) company was purchased by OptumHealth and within 3 -4 years all but 3-4 front line employees had been laid off or had their positions eliminated. (This was how long it took to migrate our original company's software into the UHG platform)

The only ones to stay were the managers someone in Optum's management liked but even management has high turnover - they only stay for a few years and get tired of the back-stabbing that goes on.

One of the worse changes that occurred was HR's decision to go to a bell-curve method of 'grading' employees. Even if a manager had only 5 employees and they all did a spectacular job, only 1 or 2 would be rated as outstanding, 1 had to be rated as 'needing improvement' and the rest were rated as average.
    I think this method was installed so raise allocations could be justified to the gov't (or to hold off unionization) but it would have been better to give high ratings to everyone doing great work and not tie raises to a 1:1 ratio with their rating. It only makes sense that someone at the top of their pay range wouldn't get as high a percentage increase as someone at the bottom of the same range who was also doing a great job. Employees aren't stupid - they would understand that.

Statistically speaking, a bell curve only holds true when it included thousands and thousands of test subjects but practically speaking, no one wanted to rate all their employees as 'bad' just so you can rate all yours 'great, even if true. That rating method is VERY demoralizing!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bell-curve method of rating employee performance. Don't expect employees to take on more and more work just so Optum's finances look good in the short term. (You might be more profitable if you hired more employees, resulting in the existing ones staying and working harder). Don't just talk about fairness, work-life balance and how you value employee's feedback, put those values into practice.