UnitedHealth Group - Big fish in a small lake | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Big fish in a small lake"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company with many benefits.

Cons

too many employees to change anything. It's the way it's always been done, very hard to make a difference.

Advice to Management

Take advice from employees on the front line. They are the ones who are in the thick of it day to day.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Quit while you are ahead..."

Former Employee - Forget But Does IT Matter? in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Forget But Does IT Matter? in Centennial, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job if you are not currently employed. I thought the trainings were done well. They do work with you to get you licensed to sell insurance. If you're looking to get your license take advantage of it and then quit immediately after you receive your licenses.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    Pay- There essentially is none. This is by far one of the worst paying jobs I've ever had since I graduated high school and then college. I delivered pizza back in high school and I believe this job is far worse than that. I made more on tips sometimes than I received for my commissions. They lure you in with a salary + commission and tell you that you should expect to make closer to the $25 per hour with your commission. Not even close in fact it's probably closer to the $14 before tax including your commissions. Connextions is compensated somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 - $700 per sale that you make for the company and out of that you may at best make $7.00 which equates around 1-2%.
    Benefits - It makes me cringe even to refer to them as benefits because that means there is some sort bonus or additional perk to the job. They have a very high deductible and a very high premium. I would not be surprised if they made money back on that. Most corporations pay around 2/3rd's of your total premium and I would be surprised if they paid a dime. You'd think that a company that sells on behalf of some of the largest insurance companies in the world could have negotiated a decent policy on behalf of their employees. It's horrible and it would probably make better sense to find your own policy outside of the company.
    Work environment - They have very nice offices and in fact tell you not to bring food or drink on the floor as you might make it messy(literally treating you like a kindergartner). They do this because they want to present themselves as a first class organization which they are not. You know the old saying don't judge a book by it's cover. Everything is about the client at the detriment of you as one of their employees. HR will lie to you and hold information back about your job security until you are far down the road and after you finally become a licensed agent. They will then spring on you that this is a "seasonal" type of employment and after open enrollment is done they will begin cutting jobs. They told me I was safe because I was working for a particular insurance company that typically keeps a lot of extras around...not the case. They pretend to look at your request for shift and hours you can work but it will look nothing like you had requested to work. If you have a break scheduled for a certain time and you don't take it exactly then because you might be on a call they will penalize your rating for not taking it exactly at the time your were scheduled which affects your bonus/commission and then tell you they can't do anything because they can't change the set up. You literally get penalized even if you don't take the break...it makes no sense. You might be better off hanging up on your sale to make sure you aren't penalized for taking your break at exactly the time the computer has set for you. This was the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. Thank God I found a job before I was told my ranking wasn't up to snuff...maybe I was trying to make a sale instead of taking my break when it was time. Do yourself a favor and find anything else out there before you accept this position. Unemployment pays higher wages.

Advice to Management

Pay less attention to keeping up on phony appearances to your clients (because it all about the clients) and focus some attention and $$$ on keeping your good employees. I would be very interested to know what the CEO is making because you don't know how to treat or compensate your employees. If you will end up letting them go in the long run work with your employees and try and get them placed with jobs at the insurance companies instead of accusing them of poaching your employees. It would be a win/win for all. Figure out a better business model because you don't know how to run a first class organization. Know that one of the biggest components in creating a first class organization is treating your employees with respect and dignity. You fall far short in that arena and in the end will doom this company to fail. You are growing far to fast and have too much exposure with the way you treat your talent...as the talent leaves eventually your top clients will as well. You can't have a world class organization with mediocre talent.

"Great Company, must be self motivated"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay
    Work from home options for most positions
    Autonomy to make your own decisions

Cons

Must be self motivated
    Too many VPs, not enough workers. Not enough operations experience, in non healhcare environment.

Advice to Management

To much upper managment, not enough workers. Look at the VP to employee ratios