UnitedHealth Group - UHG pays well, but offers a challenging work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"UHG pays well, but offers a challenging work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

UHG offers very competitive pay. There are many varied positions, and it is a good place to work if you enjoy challenges.

Cons

The culture is very cut-throat. Management has high expectations, but often offers little support. They definitely believe in the stick, rather than the carrot.

Advice to Management

Abandon your ridiculous pretense that the culture has changed. When push comes to shove, performance is the value that rules the day.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Shocking work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Up to this point there are none.

Cons

At first I believed the problems in management were localized. I have since discovered that it appears the problems are company wide due to upper and middle management. Verbal abuse and hostile work environment are clearly visible. Reports to the Ethics Department do not result in any changes being made. Direct contact with manager of on site supervisors does not result in changes. When you do something wrong, you get berated, fussed at and made to feel like a looser. You enter the door defeated everyday, making it very hard to choose between coming into work because you need the job, or just walking out and never looking back. There are not enough employees to handle the amount of call volume. The turnover of employees is horrible. As soon as a new hire class comes out of training, tenured reps leave for other jobs. Most of the reps are constantly looking for another job, or the chance to transfer within the company to another department, because of the extreme negativity in their current department.

Advice to Management

There is a cog in the wheel somewhere, where reports to the ethics department and even complaints to HR are halted. If they are moved forward to the appropriate manager, the reports are falling into an abyss; because nothing with site supervisors behaviour or lack there of is ever addressed.

"Not a company I would recommend"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get your pay up front in salary as mangers will inflate bonus opportunity. I ended up taking a cut.

Cons

Horrible management from first line to the top of the organization. No work life balance. They work employees like dogs and then throw them away.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act. You should be ashamed of what's going on in the company. I've never seen such a lack of integrity in my 30 years working.