UnitedHealth Group - United Health Group - Best Place to work (Conditions apply) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"United Health Group - Best Place to work (Conditions apply)"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Hyderabad (India)
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work From Home
Salary
Having fun at work

Cons

Late night and weekend works,
importance to exposed guys rather than hard workers

Advice to Management

Well done is better than well said. Please give the importance to people who are doing the work, not to the people who are just showcasing...

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Mushroom management, zero visibility. Your work in someone else's name."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You might meet some good people there.
    The money is fairly good. Don't be scared to open you moth for it. You can get unexpected and outrageous amounts just by taking a shot at it during your interview.
    If you want higher salary, put down your papers and say nothing. You'll be surprised with what they come up with to retain you.

Cons

1. Fixed time slot based working hours. eg: 8:30 - 6:00, 11:00 - 8:30. Some folks might actually enjoy it.

2. New learnings are rare, very rare. You'll have to pull off something amazing for them to accept trying out something new. They moved to IE7 (finally, or a joke) in 2010 and do not allow use of any other browsers even to developers.

3. Open source is a big no-no. We finalized to use RabbitMQ for one of our use case. But the company policy said no to open source. We needed to submit it for open-source review and we'd get the result apparently after our project release.

4. Managers have god like power. They can do anything to your career at UHG. If you do not have good terms, they will let you rot for as long as it takes. I did not have bad terms but some folks I knew had.

5. Also, since you're a developer, you don't have any say. Even estimations are done by non-technical managers. How the hell does that make sense.

6. Awards are lollypops. If you see someone is not happy, poke it in their moth and they will be quiet for some time. Getting one does not mean you're deserving.

7. Our team did not have any significant work for around 5 months. My manager just created fake work. While two people worked, before every scrum call, my manager would come and say, this is the share of your work you're supposed to say you did in the call so that folks in US counterparts would not ask for a ramp-down. So turns out, I only spoke about 1hr of my work, while 7 hrs were distributed to other people's bucket.

My biggest mistake was I thought I could change things and stayed there for what I consider significant amount of time.

Advice to Management

Hire good people, you don't even let employee referrals through, and only big PM/DM's referral are taken. With the money you pay, you'll get better folks. But this might mean that you will have to fire 90% of your management people starting from PM, DM to even some directors.

2. "Cc"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Hoston (Norway)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Hoston (Norway)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health and financial benefits for full-time employees

Cons

Work is routine with little flexibility

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward employees who work hard and prove to be reliable and do not allow GOOD employees to leave the company due to lack of appreciation.