UnitedHealth Group - Not Bad, Not Great | Glassdoor

"Not Bad, Not Great"

Former Employee - Claims Processor in Bothell, WA
Former Employee - Claims Processor in Bothell, WA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wish I had more positive things to say about the company, but as a general thing, the best parts of this job were specific to the Bothell office. The people I worked with and worked for directly were, with few exceptions, pretty good or even great. We had a good local culture because we were somewhat distant from the home office and largely autonomous, at least initially.

The one thing the company did right was that, when we lost the huge contract that sustained most of our office, they managed to keep us employed for a couple more years with a big project.

The company seems willing to let a lot of people telecommute though, which is always a plus.

Cons

Every time something came down from higher-level management, it was bad news for us.

Our medical benefits got worse every year, and they weren't great to start with. (As an aside, it's pretty galling to work for a health insurance company that provides such mediocre health insurance to its employees. Almost every plan I worked on was better than mine.)They slashed our benefit for diabetes medications at just about the same time they were running a big diabetes awareness campaign.

They implemented a combined claims/customer service department for their newer contracts, but it's such a miserable department to work in that everyone who transferred to it regrets it. No one working in our office would apply for openings there, so they had to hire outside the company.

And then there were little things like "normalizing" policies for PTO and bonuses across the company, and those were inevitably worse for us.

The company also puts out a bunch of initiatives about caring about its employees, particularly their health, but it rings pretty hollow given our non-competitive pay and poor benefits.

All that is without getting into the company trying to use its employees as part of its propaganda machine when they were fighting against the ACA. Every employee was given pre-written post cards to send to Congress decrying the ACA.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like cogs in your money machine while your marketing department tries to fool us into thinking you care.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"It is a tremendous company to work for, and very responsive the the Medicare marketplace."

Current Employee - Associate Director Strategic Accounts in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Director Strategic Accounts in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick to react to changing regulations and customer needs.
    They pay very well.

Cons

There is a lot of overnight travel required for this position. There is a huge amount of paperwork and about 6 hours each weekend time taken this position.

"Depending on your manager you'll have a good or bad exp."

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the best people I've ever worked with. I'm still friends with many of them almost 2 years after I left.

Cons

Had awful Sr. Management. There were a lot of politics and nepotism. The VP had set up the IT dept. to compete rather than cooperate. this led to a lot missed opportunities to improve things.

No time off from Jan 1 - Mar 1 due to Busy season. We had to be in our seats at 6:00am on New years Day. So much for a new years celebration.