UnitedHealth Group - Good first foray into business even if it was lacking a bit on the technology end. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"Good first foray into business even if it was lacking a bit on the technology end."

Former Intern - Applications Developer in Hartford, CT
Former Intern - Applications Developer in Hartford, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern

Pros

I was only an intern but they had a program geared towards helping new entry level ITers and us interns feel at home and learn the ins and out of the business. My manager was very helpful, especially when it came time to go through the red tape to download different software, and when it came to networking throughout the company. Even though I was an intern other people treated my problems and thoughts as if I had been working there for 10 years.

Cons

Your experience will vary widely between teams. Some managers allowed people to work from home some frowned upon it, some teams had a light-hearted, joke-around-but-get-work-done atmosphere and some teams were more serious. Also the red tape. So much red tape it took me two weeks to download an API I needed. The salary seems on the lower end for someone graduating with a CS degree. If you are looking to be on the verge of cutting edge technology don't look here. They are a business first and even though their IT department is large enough to be its own business that does not mean its a very tech-oriented company. Also the work-life balance seemed a little lacking for a lot of the full-timers (not for me of course I was only a lowly intern).

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

"It's as good as you make it."

Current Employee - Network Account Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Network Account Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable. Progressive. Profitable. Flexible. Work from home is more and more acceptable. Loads of places to transfer if you want to change your type of work, or move to another city.

Cons

Demanding. The insurance industry is causing UHC to tighten up. That means more work for everybody, and less benefits, raises, etc.

Advice to Management

Rich up those benes a little, will ya?

"Great times, bad times, aqcuisitions, promotions, no job!"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in West Valley City, UT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

innovative tech and great learning experience. Career advancement.

Cons

Too big and moving too fast. Poor merit/promotion increases from inside. Just an ID#